Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone using an aluminum crank pulley (2.2 l)

I put a HO alternator in my car. The HO alternator does not make as much amperage at lower rpms compared to the stock alternator, so I wanted to eliminate any light dimming issues. I also purchased a smaller diameter alternator pulley to over drive the alternator.

When I first purchased the unorthodox underdrive pulley, I didn't have any light dimming issues. However as the alternator aged, I did notice it a little bit.

Not what your questions asks, but I have a lightweight stock sized pulley on my 97 OB (2.5L auto).

Effects?

Negative - Bit more engine rocking. It caused a car vibration at times when sitting at a stop light. Not bad, but enough to bother me. Shortly after, I had the newer liquid filled engine mounts put in. (Other work was being done.) Solved that problem.

Positive - Just a "hint" quicker engine acceleration. It was noticable for the first few take offs from stop lights. But then, I was expecting it too, so it might have been a placebo effect. :lol: Could I tell the difference in a blind test, repeatedly? I rather doubt it.

Commuter

thanks for the feedback all.

i like solid pulleys better than harmonic balancers as the rubber ring can fail and i hate failure points. i'll take the minor vibrations. i'm hoping a PRO ECM pulley is well balanced. i know a few others running PRO ECM pulleys on other soobs and never heard them mention vibration issues.

i know a few others running PRO ECM pulleys on other soobs and never heard them mention vibration issues.

Just to be clear, it was not very pronounced, but noticable. It would happen about 75 or 80% of the time. Just a gentle rocking (when at a stop). It seemed that a resonance was actually happening (between engine and car body). If I would just touch the gas pedal to change the rpms even slightly, it would go away. I think the odds of it happening for someone else is slim. Me... I always get stuff like that!

Commuter