Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Glovebox Latch

Jibs

I didn't know where to post this, but here goes. Has anyone tried to "strengthen" the glovebox latch a Brat? I ask this because I picked up 2 marine style cupholders and they attach with 4 very small screws to a small plastic plate (Size of a quarter) I was thinking of putting 2 of them on the glovebox door, but I don't think it'd be strong enough to hold 2 drinks in place. I don't know how I would strengthen the latch, but maybe a stronger one from a newer car might work. Any help would be appreciated.

I have always found my glove box latch way strong!

If your worried about it popping open under the extra weight of some cups,

Try locking it? I'd think you'd be ok with the original latch?

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--complete with glove box. :eek:

01 Forester--of course it has one too.

I replaced the catch under the dash on my '85 wagon to get the glove compartment door working better. I am guessing here, but it seems like the two things that work to hold the catch closed are the spring inside the assembly on the door, and the fit of the pins in the catch. So if your pins are rounded on the ends, or the catch is wearing, it might make it easier for it to pop open. You might be able to file the ends of the pins down to make a sharper transition away from the catch, but this would wear on the catch. Or you might be able to drill or file inside the catch to increase the contact area between the pins and the catch. I think they are riveted together, but you might be able to get the latch spring apart and strech the spring out a little to get more pressure on that. I woulnd't try this without a spare. If you sent me one of those padded envelopes with a couple bucks postage on it, you can have my extra catch from an '85. PM me if you want to.

- James B