Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want to turbo my 2001 Legacy GT Wagon

I am about to become the proud owner of a mint 01 legacy GT wagon (5spd, of course) and I've got some money left to burn. I'm looking to set it up with a nice intercooled turbo kit. I've found a couple for the 2.5RS and such, and I am curious about if kits will simply bolt on my legacy's 2.5, or if there are clearance/piping/whatever issues that would cause problems.

How similar is the Legacy GT's bay to that of an impreza or 2.5RS? I don't think I'll have much trouble finding a hood with scoop if I do a top mount, however I am more inclined to go the front mount route. Any information on this is appreciated.

Oh yeah, whats up board. First post :cool:

since you basically have the exact same motor as the RS, it should fit in there just fine, were you going to get the AVO kit? you might have better advice coming from nasioc forum, alot more new-gen oriented peeps over there, especially if your talkin turbo.

~Josh~

that's good to know. in fact i was looking at the AVO kit, I just wasn't sure about how it would fit in the bay since it's marketed for the RS. if I can essentially use the same kits for the RS and my Leg, that will make my search much easier, since there really isn't much I've found exclusively for my car as of yet.

Many things to think about, will it reduce your MPG, what about smog tests, will the tuning and timing be exactly the same or are there changes that have to be made?

I think I'd spend my money on a good tune up and a K & N air filter.

Good luck with it!

I posted a similar reply to someone else with a question like this. As far as I know, the EJ22 and EJ25 (in your GT) are open-deck designs that don't hold up too well to turbocharging. I guess it's a personal thing, but I know that if I spent money for a nice car like that, I wouldn't do anything to the engine to sacrifice its longevity. However, to each his own. If people do it with success in the RS, I guess it would work in your GT. Just be prepared for your engine to probably not last nearly as long.

Brian

well the reason i am getting this car at such a deal is because the blue book value is like 12-13, however my mother put it into a concrete abuttment last winter. car is totally repaired, however it comes up on CarFax as having frame damage, so the value is reduced to 6500. She just got a WRX wagon, so I've got the option to get this car at a deal. Nicely loaded, with under 40k, I'd be foolish not to take it off her hands. I've read some things about the longevity being reduced, and I'm willing to deal with that given the money I'm saving. I plan to run low boost, my qualm is that it's so slow, and I've driven civics for 4 years, I want something that isn't a total poke.

I think if I tune it right and don't totally beat it, it should give me a couple good years of service. I go to school in rochester NY, so having AWD is a big sell point for me. I just don't want it to be slower than the DX I drive now.

I understand the reduced MPG and all that jazz, I am more than willing to feed it premium gas at $2.60 a gal for the rest of its days. Thanx for all the informatative replies thusfar

Will

• 5 years later...
well the reason i am getting this car at such a deal is because the blue book value is like 12-13, however my mother put it into a concrete abuttment last winter. car is totally repaired, however it comes up on CarFax as having frame damage, so the value is reduced to 6500. She just got a WRX wagon, so I've got the option to get this car at a deal. Nicely loaded, with under 40k, I'd be foolish not to take it off her hands. I've read some things about the longevity being reduced, and I'm willing to deal with that given the money I'm saving. I plan to run low boost, my qualm is that it's so slow, and I've driven civics for 4 years, I want something that isn't a total poke.

I think if I tune it right and don't totally beat it, it should give me a couple good years of service. I go to school in rochester NY, so having AWD is a big sell point for me. I just don't want it to be slower than the DX I drive now.

I understand the reduced MPG and all that jazz, I am more than willing to feed it premium gas at $2.60 a gal for the rest of its days. Thanx for all the informatative replies thusfar

Will

Not to mention where on earth do you get premium for $2.60 a gallon? oh yeah this was posted in 2005!!!. Stupid gas prices!!!