Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt Video and Clutch install video

I am adding a clutch install video and IF I GET 15 people to SAY they want it (just want it, not buy it), I will tear off and reinstall a timing belt. To those who have already responded, you will get this as well.

These two chapters are in addition the basic engine rebuild DVD I have already offered. The DVD is available now (since they are burning a whopping 2 a day) but the files via the internet will be available as soon as I a- get the files converted, b-get them uploaded on a setup faster than my 56k, and c- Get them transferred over to Josh at legacycentral.org

One chapter is currently uploaded for viewing. It is the piston pulling video previously posted. It is for a 2.2 motor, but it is relevant for all Subaru motors.

http://www.vincentfurniture.com/photos/subaru/pistonpull.wmv

I am not a vendor. I am not doing this for money but I do need compensation if you want one. All these chapters are/will be free for download when they are uploaded. I don't care if you copy or host.

I have created a DVD of the basics of engine rebuild, which includes 7 sections.

1- tools need to pull pistons (I assume you have actually pulled the engine and removed heads.

2- shows where the access plates to wrist pins are

3- shows access holes to the wrist pins open

4- shows piston removal of two pistons

5- shows how to install rings

6- shows how to compress rings

7- shows how to install pistons

8- how to install a clutch

9- how to install a timing belt (if I get enough call for it)

But if you want the DVD, I want $7.50 to cover my time and material. Feel free to copy and distribute. Email or private message me.

Mail to:

Vincent Furniture

5423 SE Woodstock

Portland Oregon, 97206

I will mail as soon as it shows.

Doug, the proud owner of Reddevil, the only supercharged Legacy in the world!

Vincent,

Being my own primary mechanic and having rebuilt virtually every system on my 1960 Triupmh TR3, I realize what an opportunity your offer presents. Aside from regular maintenance, I've not had a need to spin a wrench on my 01 Legcy GT wagon, although I'll be putting some Porterfield R4-S brake pads on the fronts soon.

You will be seeing a note and some money from me for your DVD. Please do continue to create these guides, as a picture is worth 10,000 words, expecially when it comes to cars.

BTW - What manual would you suggest for Subies? I've heard that there is someplace you can download the shop manuals for a fixed fee, but have not found it yet.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see the timing belt and clutch video.

I am adding a clutch install video and IF I GET 15 people to SAY they want it (just want it, not buy it), I will tear off and reinstall a timing belt. To those who have already responded, you will get this as well.

These two chapters are in addition the basic engine rebuild DVD I have already offered. The DVD is available now (since they are burning a whopping 2 a day) but the files via the internet will be available as soon as I a- get the files converted, b-get them uploaded on a setup faster than my 56k, and c- Get them transferred over to Josh at legacycentral.org

One chapter is currently uploaded for viewing. It is the piston pulling video previously posted. It is for a 2.2 motor, but it is relevant for all Subaru motors.

http://www.vincentfurniture.com/photos/subaru/pistonpull.wmv

I am not a vendor. I am not doing this for money but I do need compensation if you want one. All these chapters are/will be free for download when they are uploaded. I don't care if you copy or host.

I have created a DVD of the basics of engine rebuild, which includes 7 sections.

1- tools need to pull pistons (I assume you have actually pulled the engine and removed heads.

2- shows where the access plates to wrist pins are

3- shows access holes to the wrist pins open

4- shows piston removal of two pistons

5- shows how to install rings

6- shows how to compress rings

7- shows how to install pistons

8- how to install a clutch

9- how to install a timing belt (if I get enough call for it)

But if you want the DVD, I want $7.50 to cover my time and material. Feel free to copy and distribute. Email or private message me.

Mail to:

Vincent Furniture

5423 SE Woodstock

Portland Oregon, 97206

I will mail as soon as it shows.

Doug, the proud owner of Reddevil, the only supercharged Legacy in the world!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

New to the list and actually new to Subes... Just bought a 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon and, with 113k miles, figure its due for a timing belt (the dealer who recently looked at a dash light problem, concurs, along with, in his opinion, a water pump, oil pump, cam seals, valve cover gaskets and a bunch more (clutch pack... but thats another story).

Got a good price on the car and, since its in good shape, am gearing up to start in with the timing belt (and accompying "while I'm in there" stuff).

Have gone through a whole lot of the archives (on TBs) and came upon this item, from a couple of years ago, posted by Doug\RedDevil, who, it was sounding like, was in the process of compiling a video on replace at TB.

Sent an email (no response) and wanted to see if anyone has seen such an item. I have margin to fair skills and tools, though they're somewhat rusty and all\any help would be pretty useful (especially with the cam\locking\timing\TDC thing (since I will be changing the cam seals).

-John