Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone charted performance mods?

I am just wondering if anyone has charted or recorded the evidence of higher MPG or horsepower from mods such as an aftermarket coil, wires, chip, air filter, header, ect????

Alot of people here have changed the coil or done some mod, is the eveidence in the "seat of the pants"?

I am wondering where people might start and get the most bang for their buck.

Thanks,

Todd

91 Loyale is the current Soob. I am either thinking about purchasing an ealier GL or modding this one a little with A.A. 15" wheels and a 3 inch lift. I have had the older GLs in the past and like them alot, it is just a matter of finding one that isnt beat. The 91 Loyale is REAL clean, shame to mod it out too much.

later,

todd

well this is no crap , do not change your coil to acell , , 2 in pipe from cat back , no big cat, air box cut out, k-n filter , ngk plugs, 8mm wires , , all adds up to good mpg, all this is on my 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd gl-10 wagon , 22-23 mpg city, 24-25 hi way , remember the full time is a 4 speed a/t

91 Loyale, those are pretty nice. There are multiple posibilities, ranging from small mods like cutting out the air box to doing a complete motor swap. It all depends on what your brain and most importantly, wallet, allow you to do. A good place to start is a fresh set of plugs and plug wires. You might also replace the distributor cap and rotor to gain back some of that lost ignition efficiency. This will also help you achieve better gas mileage along with some ponies that you may have thought were out to pasture.

I have an 88 GL-10 Wagon(EA82T w/5 speed full-time 4wd). Here is a list of my mods:

Complete 3" aluminum fenderwell intake(from filter to turbocharger inlet)

Stainless steel cone filter

MAF adapter(of course)

SRP Manual Boost Controller(Set at 11psi)

2.25" diameter turbo back exhaust w/ custom bellmouth downpipe

TopSpeed Pro 1 canister muffler

Accel Super Coil

NGK Iridium spark plugs

Ported(lightly) Turbocharger(VF7)

Catco High Flow catalytic converter

Starion Intercooler

Intercooler piping(high temp ceramic paint)w/ thermal wrap(on pipe from IC-TB)

Recirculating BPV

WRX hood scoop

Power steering cooler

RhinoPac clutch

New Fuel Pump(95psi max line pressure[factory pump is 71psi max])

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Soon to come(when I return from Japan):

Water Spray system for intercooler

2.5" bellmouth downpipe(or possibly divorced wategate w/ downstream merge)

HKS fuel cut defencer

6 pass Oil Cooler w/filter sandwich adapter

Scorpion wheels(if I can afford them)

lots of bodywork

And hopefully be able to trun the boost up to 12psi without the car hitting fuel cut

See, it all depends on what you want to make the car do. Most of the parts that I acquired for my GL-10, I paid less than $40 for, with the exceptions of the exhaust, the intercooler, and the clutch.

Hopefully this will give you a little insight into what can be done. There are people on the boards here whose cars are modded more than this. You can make it mild or wild. A trophy keeper or a street sleeper. But that my friend, is up to you.

Patrick

well this is no crap , do not change your coil to acell , , 2 in pipe from cat back , no big cat, air box cut out, k-n filter , ngk plugs, 8mm wires , , all adds up to good mpg, all this is on my 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd gl-10 wagon , 22-23 mpg city, 24-25 hi way , remember the full time is a 4 speed a/t

Looks like the faulty ones finally made it east. I have run the large Accell's without any problems in both of my Brat's. I won't run the cylindrical ones though. I have an MSD coil in my XT6 that seems to be working quite well.(still running)

Biggest improvements can be had from a correctly tuned engine and improved exhaust. After that the gains are smaller and more expensive.

Looks like the faulty ones finally made it east. I have run the large Accell's without any problems in both of my Brat's. I won't run the cylindrical ones though. I have an MSD coil in my XT6 that seems to be working quite well.(still running)

Biggest improvements can be had from a correctly tuned engine and improved exhaust. After that the gains are smaller and more expensive.

Yes, the big accells are pretty well proven. Not all the crap ones made it east. I had one die on my after 10-11 months.. 70 miles from home.

Remember there is a huge difference between the accell Super coil and the Accell Super Stock coil.

Well, I guess I am half way there, the car is a great state of tune. the older gentleman who owned the car before me, had all the tune-up stuff done before selling. It runs strong and burns no oil. 150K miles, new AT trans, new axles, newer brakes, new Goodyear tires ( or I already would have had 15"s on it by now)

I am a machinist so the idea of making a push bar with light mounts, custom cold air intake or airbox, and a brace for the strut towers is next on the "G-Job (Govenment Job)" list at work.

What works best with the Soob distributor? The stock diameter wires or bigger aftermarket sparkplug wires?

later,

todd