Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket or thermostat

The GSR is loosing water. Oil is ok and the car is going good except when you stop at the traffic lights and it will blow out water if you have waited to long.While waiting the car over heated and siezed from being to hot. After about two hours it went again ok. Hope it isnt a cracked head. With the radiater cap off while it was idling water over flowed out the cap. I am hoping it is only the thermostat. Your thoughts on this problem please.

The GSR is loosing water. Oil is ok and the car is going good except when you stop at the traffic lights and it will blow out water if you have waited to long.While waiting the car over heated and siezed from being to hot. After about two hours it went again ok. Hope it isnt a cracked head. With the radiater cap off while it was idling water over flowed out the cap. I am hoping it is only the thermostat. Your thoughts on this problem please.

you say it's losing water.... any clues where it's losing it to? does it look like there's a visible leak somewhere, or could it be going into the engine?

I think its loosing water through the radiator cap when it gets pressurised as it gets hot and will just spill out the overflow onto the road.

you say it's losing water.... any clues where it's losing it to? does it look like there's a visible leak somewhere, or could it be going into the engine?

We found a wire off for the fan. We took the thermostat out,checked the water pump and it is still overflowing out the top and the water is not bubbly when the engine is going. It seems to build up back pressure somewhere and just flows out the cap. I havent heard this happening before for blown head gaskets has anyone else. Maybe a cracked head?.

Assuming it has an electric fan, is the electric fan turning on?

Strange. Usually a head/HG prob will make the water bubble.

So, if I understand correctly, as soon as you start the engine, the coolant flows out of the rad cap?

Will it just keep pushing it out till its nearly empty, or does it stop fairly quickly?

The water raises up and overflows and then goes down again it doesn't continuously flow over. The thermostat has been removed and the water pump is working. It just seems to build up pressure , overflow and then go down again. I am stumped.

Strange. Usually a head/HG prob will make the water bubble.

So, if I understand correctly, as soon as you start the engine, the coolant flows out of the rad cap?

Will it just keep pushing it out till its nearly empty, or does it stop fairly quickly?