Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 WRX Emissions Testing in WA (PASSED)

Well I took my 96 Impreza Brighton converted to a WRX STi Type R in for it's emissions testing today. I thought that they would use the OBD II for testing since it is a 96 and they had it hanging there, but nope, didn't even move towards it. But they had me worried, because as I was sitting there waiting to move forward, one of the guys was straightening out and coiling up the OBD II cable. Here is the results, HC at cruise, limit 220 PPM, my emissions 45 PPM, at idle, limit 220 PPM, my emissions 64 PPM, for CO, at cruise, limit 1.2 %, my emissions 0 %, at idle, limit 1.2 %, my emissions .19 %. It passed with plenty of room to spare.

And this was done with what ECU? Congrats! Oh, and it sounds like we just missed you at that GC8 meet in Seattle last weekend.
Yep, all stock JDM stuff. Yea, it was too bad I had to leave early, I would have like to have seen all those 2 doors.

for CO, at cruise, limit 1.2 %, my emissions 0 %, at idle, limit 1.2 %, my emissions .19 %.

So does that mean that if you locked yourself in the garage with the car running it won't kill you???? There I go again thinking outloud... ;):lol:

Congrats on passing though. What would have happened if they tried to hook up to that JDM computer? would it have worked or would you have been red flagged for a non US component?

So does that mean that if you locked yourself in the garage with the car running it won't kill you???? There I go again thinking outloud... ;):lol:

Congrats on passing though. What would have happened if they tried to hook up to that JDM computer? would it have worked or would you have been red flagged for a non US component?

Well, in my car there is no place to hook up the OBD II, so they wouldn't see anything, but if it did have it, like it should, the computer would read the ECU and see that it is for a different engine that what is suppose to be in the car. I have heard that some places will end the test right there and fail you, even if the engine passes emissions.