Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Was Rear-Ended - What to Check?

My wife was driving our '92 Loyale in town, and she was rear-ended by an SUV. Other than a slightly stiff neck, she's fine, and she says the car looks fine as well.

Just to be sure, I'm going to have the SUV owner pay for an inspection of the vehicle. Is there anything in particular that I should have checked?

I've never been in an accident myself, so I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Take it to a body shop that you trust. I got rear ended in my Legacy wagon last year. Only mark on the bumper was the imprint of his license plate....it cost $600 to repair (underneath was damaged more and then the refinish.....etc. Also, be sure to have your wife see a doctor or chiropractor to be sure everything is okay. It took about 5 months of 3X/week visits before my neck was back to normal.

... Also, be sure to have your wife see a doctor or chiropractor to be sure everything is okay. It took about 5 months of 3X/week visits before my neck was back to normal.

I don't know any way that I can overstress what edrach said. My wife is still suffering after nearly 2 years from being backed over at 3 MPH. If your wife saw it coming and stiffened, turned, stepped on the brake, stepped on the clutch, or ANYTHING other than like sitting in a comfy chair at home, she is likely to have something that got jerked or tweaked. The body being what it is, it is normal to take 2-3 days for soft-tissue damage to show.

Open the smugglers hatches in the back and check to make sure that the frame rails aren't damaged. I was inspecting a posible purchase, and found that the frame rails had been beaten back into shape and JB welded. The car looked fine, but obviously had been rear ended at some point.

Its great to hear your wife is ok. My mates sister was driving her husbands 98 Forester and got T-boned by a Semi doing like 80Km she got away with ony a small shallow cut to her head but the car, well ill leave it to your immagination