Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 GTB Legacy Wagon, problem that no one seems to know how to fix...

Ok its a long list but here it goes.

New engine, Air Flow Meter, Coolant temp sensor, Knock Sensor.

1. When cold and after start, resonble amount of smoke out back smells very rich... (fuels ecconomy ************ but arnt all subarus) (oil cunsumption a little but bugger all maybee 1/2 a litre every 10000kms

2. Idle fine after start, but if you rev it a few times when it returns to idle it runs like a sack of ************.

3. When driving and its cold, when it changes into second there is a bog down / hesitation if you put your foot down more it doesnt seem to do anything but changes the engine sound (like to much fuel) the kick down ie changing down a gear doesnt really seem to work well when cold either) safty thing?

PLEASEE HELP ME!!!!!!!!, such a wonderfull car when its hot, but a peice of ************ when its cold,, spent a fortune trying to figure this out, still no luck though...

I believe there are 2 temp sensors. One is coolant, but the other one is used by the cpu to determine 'choke' conditions.

What color is the smoke out the back? definitely fuel?

Look for the engine temp sesor and related wiring - maybe just disconnected or cut. maybe bad sensor.

let us know OK?

Carl

Without seeing or hearing the engine, the problems you mentioned can also be caused either by a defective Temp Sensor (not having the proper resistance for a 'cold' engine), or more likely the front Oxygen Sensor. Especially when you mention the black smoke (running rich) and bogging down after it shifts.

Granted it can be other things, but I would have the front Oxygen sensor plotted with an OBDII reader capable of doing so. It may not be 'bad' enough to throw a code, but I have seen these create havoc otherwise.

I believe there are 2 temp sensors. One is coolant, but the other one is used by the cpu to determine 'choke' conditions.

What color is the smoke out the back? definitely fuel?

Look for the engine temp sesor and related wiring - maybe just disconnected or cut. maybe bad sensor.

let us know OK?

Carl

The older cars had the two temp sensors. The large one went to the ECU. The smaller just went to the gauge, and has no effect in how the car runs.