Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Thing of Beauty!

I came home for lunch and there was a branny-new rebuilt carb sitting there from Roo-Builders!

Within 45 minutes, Tim got it in and it's running great! It comes up to temp and stays running, no stalls!

Tim said he never even had to adjust anything... worked right off the git-go! Thanks Kerry, for an outstanding job! You rock!

Actually, Mudrat79 made the final diagnosis of the problem I was having... he gave us a series of tests to be made and it failed them ALL... we talked and he described what to look and feel for. Thanks John! You rock!

All my neighbors heard me today! :) And Skippy finally got to ride in it!

She's not just a pretty face anymore! A major victory!

Tim rocks!!

Actually, Tim and Skippy drove up around the mall and started onto the highway... Tim heard a rubbing noise and decided against it... then it seems the noise left after a while... must have been rust from non-use.

I started vacation today, I'll take it on my errands tomorrow and see if it's still happening. This is VERY, VERY exciting! I'm grinning so much my cheeks hurt!

hmmmm... a carb rebuild eh??? i probably need one... my carb doesn't seem to ever run quite right...

how much did it cost?? who exactly did it for you???

i'm getting excited... or should i just weber it?:grin:

hmmmm... webers cost oodles... rebuild sounds like it will get it running good...

hmmmm... a carb rebuild eh??? i probably need one... my carb doesn't seem to ever run quite right...

how much did it cost?? who exactly did it for you???

i'm getting excited... or should i just weber it?:grin:

hmmmm... webers cost oodles... rebuild sounds like it will get it running good...

I got the new carb from Roo-Builders http://www.ccrengines.com/roobuilders/

They came highly recommended. The Hitachi carb was $195 plus shipping and a core charge. It came with all the screws and external doo-flickers (choke, throttle linkage, ADS) they were all rusty, loose and wiggly on mine. Just Plug 'n Play.

As a note: I tried to get one through my local parts man and he told me that only 1 in 5 rebuilts that he gets in works... the other 4 fail and need to be returned. He deals with 2 other companies (Tomco & American?) and has no confidence in their products so he didn't want to order one for me... he's a great guy, honest and very knowledegable. He's anxious to hear the results of the Roo-Builders carb.

The Brat runs great now, my 84 year-old mother wanted to go for a ride to the bank in it... she was loving it... even the part where the cabin suddenly filled with smoke and I pulled over, unhooked her seat belt and made her jump out.

I figured out that the crankcase exhaust gasses are still routed to the undercarriage and then shifter boot isn't fastened in so it flaps opens up when I shift, letting the gasses into the cabin... the sun streaming in makes it look a lot worse than it is. LOL!

After driving a whole 20 miles... it's now developed a strange non-rhythmic loud clicking (almost "snapping" noise). I have no clue what it could be... everything's new? Could be a bad rebuilt axle? Here we go again! Arrrggghhh!

After driving a whole 20 miles... it's now developed a strange non-rhythmic loud clicking (almost "snapping" noise). I have no clue what it could be... everything's new? Could be a bad rebuilt axle? Here we go again! Arrrggghhh!

don't sweat the small stuff.... you've made it thus far!

The Brat runs great now, my 84 year-old mother wanted to go for a ride to the bank in it... she was loving it... even the part where the cabin suddenly filled with smoke and I pulled over, unhooked her seat belt and made her jump out.

I figured out that the crankcase exhaust gasses are still routed to the undercarriage and then shifter boot isn't fastened in so it flaps opens up when I shift, letting the gasses into the cabin... the sun streaming in makes it look a lot worse than it is. LOL!

I have the same problem with the shifter boot,it works it's way loose. I thought it was because the brat is lifted. Anyone have a way to fix that?

I have the same problem with the shifter boot,it works it's way loose. I thought it was because the brat is lifted. Anyone have a way to fix that?

There's a channel that runs around the "heel" that needs to be glued and then slid in so the metal rim of the opening is in the channel... I can't even get it in with no glue :(