Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help- Grinding noise after rotar job

Hi all, I am having yet another problem with a Subaru. Today, to celebrate the Forth of July, I decided to change the rotars on my girlfriends 1998 Legacy GT. Well, it didn't go to bad, got them all on, braking has tightened up etc. However, after the daylight faded, I was driving and noticed that when I make right hand turns, there is a grinding noise coming from the driver-side rear tire. After I straighten out, the grinding goes away, but it is noticable when I make right hand turns only.

It also seems that the car shakes a little more on the highway than it did prior to my handy work. I haven't been able to look at the time since it is dark, but If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Could be a lose pad. Shaking could be a badly centered disc or wheel.

Raise the offending wheel, remove it and check the brake caliper for loosness. Remedy as necessary. (COuld be caliper mounting bracket to hub bolts aren't snug.)

When you fit the wheel again, clean the hub and wheel mounting surface first. Apply a thin coating of copper grease to the hub. Tighten lugs in a star/criss-cross pattern. Tighten progressively. Finger tighten all five first. Then tighten lighty with a wrench.

I would recommend using a torque wrench and give all lugs 95Nm.