Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I'm new to this board and am considering a 2005 Outback to replace my gas guzzler Jeep. Can anyone tell me how the new 2005 Outbacks do on the beach and how I can expect it to pull compared to my Grand Cherokee?

The salesmen in this area don't seem to have a clue about what they are selling.

Thanks!

The only time i've seen an outback on the beach was when it was riding on the bed of a wrecker. Seriously, though, it depends on the beach and how soft the sand it. Either way, you need to air down and go slow. You're going to lose even more ground clearance on a vehicle that has little already, so beware.

NET: Depends on the beach and how soft the sand is.

The only time i've seen an outback on the beach was when it was riding on the bed of a wrecker. Seriously, though, it depends on the beach and how soft the sand it. Either way, you need to air down and go slow. You're going to lose even more ground clearance on a vehicle that has little already, so beware.

I once read that on the dunes, when the big Fords and Dodges are stuck, the soobs go swimming up trhu the sand to pull 'em out! maybe cause they're lighter? I dunno.

Carl

I had our 2001 OBW LTD on the beach at OBX last year. Put the tires down to 20 psi and went fishing with a friend who had a Mazda 4x4 pickup. No problems, and my friend was quite suprized, as was I, by the way the subie handle the sand. I'm still kicking myself for not take along my camera. :banghead:

Used a portable air compressor to bring the tires back up to the standard pressure after we finished.

You're going to lose even more ground clearance on a vehicle that has little already, so beware.

Well, the 05 Outback does have between 8.4 and 8.7" of ground clearance, which isn't much less than an Explorer (9.2) or Jeep Liberty (8.9). It has more than an MDX (8.0) or Highlander (7.7).

I've had my 04 outback out on the outer banks seveal times. used 16psi after several higher pressures. Got more sand in the upper engine compartment than i thought would happen. Had to use several deep tracks and the low clearance scraped up the sand.

• 7 months later...

I use my old AWD Legacy to launch my boat at the beach during the summer. The lake level is low so the boat ramp ends and I have about 15 yards of really deep soft dry sand before I hit 10 yards of harder pack sand. I've seen a bunch of cars get stuck including a Blazer after they see me go down to the water.

Don't spin your wheels (you'll just bury yourself or overheat your diff). Easy on the gas. Use common sense, and the lightweight Legacy will do just fine. A manual helps and I do have snow tires on (it's my winter and beach car).

My 97 does well. Try to avoid windy dry days - sand will get into all the places it shouldn't. A wet or rainy day is best. Also stay around 10-15mph. If you park for lunch or something, put the tail into the wind if there is any. If the sand is soft and dry park on a hill to aid in starting, this will save your clutch or tranny.

Sand is bad stuff, but fun.

rd