Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP..no dash/tail lights.not fuses so I'm ????

I went psudeo offroading yesterday while on a rafting trip. I hit a few big rocks and some sand, but nothing major. Afterwards i noticed I had no dash or tail lights. I still have break lights and I still have head lights.

I checked any fuse that looked like it would affact this, I also tried switching bulbs. The new bulbs didn't work either so something is causing lack of power to both.

Any ideas? Please? I'm lost...I'm not sure what else to check.

Thanks guys.

-Ryan B

im guessing switch.. this is a very common problem on chevy trucks.. i just saw one yesterday with the same thing..

a friend of mine had the same issue with his chevy..

i'd check that switch first..

Thanks. I'll try that.

Any other ideas for me peoples?

K. I changed the switch. No luck. I got a power test light thing and it seems that one wire of the 3 gets power on the tail light. (being the brake light) red got power being brake, green no power I assume is tail, and black no power is ground.

I have still

NO DASH

NO TAIL

NO REVERSE LIGHTS

I fiddled under the dash, nothing seemed a miss. I am so lost and so pissed right now.

People please!!!!

check the electrical wiring harness connectors above the pedal assembly. pull them apart and put them back together. a bad connector will fall apart, be brittle or severly discolored (brown instead of white)...etc. causing shorts and bad or no connection situations.

i think off roading or driving through snow expedites this condition because mud or snow (snow is the worst for me anyway) gets on your shoes and your floorboards and those wires if they hang low enough or you get your foot up there.

Check the parking light switch on the top of the steering column. First Soob I had had the fuse yanked for that circuit. Switch off, everything worked normally. Switch on, I got the exact conditions you describe. Flipping that switch to the off position may solve your problem. Could have bumped it by mistake while off road.

Judging by the picture I would say you have a Gen II wagon. They didn't have that switch back then Trog.

I would first use the test light to make sure that you are getting power to BOTH sides of the fuses. One can look good, but actually be bad. If the fuses are ohkay, then follow it on to the lighting swith, make sure you have power going in and out of there. If that is ohkay, check the lighting relay (If applicable). Some years have these to power up all the exterior lights. But knowing your year will help me out, I can get a better idea of which system we're working with. Lotsa luck.

Check your fusable links near your battery. (Pull them out and inspect them.. they often "look" good when they are really burned up under the nylon) Check for loose or borken grounds wires especially under the dash.. check for cut and/or arcing wires underneath the rearend.. and under the hood..

GOT IT!!

I do beleive that it was this silly rump roast electronic brake controller I have. I really didn't even realize it was there, but I guess it's for the trailor hookup. Anyway, I took it out. I also hit a bump so that coulda been it. In any event they work. Thanks for the info, I at least learned a few things.