Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, now I'm somewhat educated about the plastic vs metal oil separator cover leaks. My wife and I have a '95 Legacy LS Wagon with the 2.2L engine. We've had "a" leak since we bought the car (with 141K). Everything pointed to the oil pan "gasket" ...which it turns out wasn't there... so we had an aftermarket FELPRO cork gasket installed.

But, alas, the leak is still there. I've had a mirror up behind the oil pan and it would appear that the leak is coming from above where the oil pan meets the engine. Does this actually indicate the separator plate is the culprit? Or is it something else? Also, how long can I drive it like this monitoring the leak and adding oil when it gets low?

Thanks to all who might give us their 2 cents (US or Cdn) worth! ;)

WELL HERE'S MY TWO CENTS WORTH...UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE AUSTRALIAN CENTS WHICH ARE WORTH VERY LITTLE...BUT HERE GOES ANYWAY..... COULD BE :1 REAR MAIN SEAL

2 SEPARATER COVER AS MENTIONED BY YOURSELF

3 REAR CAM BLANK COVER O RING

OR 4 IF THE BLOCK HAS BEEN SPLIT IT MAY HAVE NOT BEEN REASSEMBLED CORRECTLY

THATS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

HOPE THIS HELPS

Okay, now I'm somewhat educated about the plastic vs metal oil separator cover leaks. My wife and I have a '95 Legacy LS Wagon with the 2.2L engine. We've had "a" leak since we bought the car (with 141K). Everything pointed to the oil pan "gasket" ...which it turns out wasn't there... so we had an aftermarket FELPRO cork gasket installed.

But, alas, the leak is still there. I've had a mirror up behind the oil pan and it would appear that the leak is coming from above where the oil pan meets the engine. Does this actually indicate the separator plate is the culprit? Or is it something else? Also, how long can I drive it like this monitoring the leak and adding oil when it gets low?

Thanks to all who might give us their 2 cents (US or Cdn) worth! ;)

WELL HERE'S MY TWO CENTS WORTH...UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE AUSTRALIAN CENTS WHICH ARE WORTH VERY LITTLE...BUT HERE GOES ANYWAY..... COULD BE :1 REAR MAIN SEAL

2 SEPARATER COVER AS MENTIONED BY YOURSELF

3 REAR CAM BLANK COVER O RING

OR 4 IF THE BLOCK HAS BEEN SPLIT IT MAY HAVE NOT BEEN REASSEMBLED CORRECTLY

THATS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

HOPE THIS HELPS

Hey Andy,

Thanks for your Aussie 2 cents worth! I'll add the items to the list of possibilities.

Go__bryth

most likely the rear main seal.

seal leaks are common. if you need to add oil often i would not suspect the seperator.

again i'd bet on the rear main seal. in general yes you can keep adding oil, most older cars need oil on occassion, that's no big deal. it really depends why it's leaking. if it's just seeping out then it's not a big deal, this is usually the case. but there's a chance the seal is pushing out and will come out all the way. that is a bad place to be, all your oil will be on the ground in less than a minute and you run the risk of major engine damage.

NO WORRIES MATE

LET US KNOW HOW YOU GO IM ALWAYS INTERESTED IN THE OUTCOME:drunk:

I will Andy. I just hope it stays in the oilpan long enough for us to start and finish our holidays.... We've got more than 2000 miles to drive in about 10 days. Not much when you say it fast! hahahah

How can you tell we live in Canada, eh? :lol:

most likely the rear main seal.

seal leaks are common. if you need to add oil often i would not suspect the seperator.

again i'd bet on the rear main seal. in general yes you can keep adding oil, most older cars need oil on occassion, that's no big deal. it really depends why it's leaking. if it's just seeping out then it's not a big deal, this is usually the case. but there's a chance the seal is pushing out and will come out all the way. that is a bad place to be, all your oil will be on the ground in less than a minute and you run the risk of major engine damage.

Oh man Gary! I sure hope it stays in the oil pan, as I said to Andy. We NEED it to stay put until we get home! Thanks for the info tho'. I'll keep my eyes on things.