Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A lot changes in 20 years...

if it works, dont fix it.

They tried...the rear diffs in these new ones....well, SUCK....horribly. They dont do much of anything at all. :banghead:

yet another reason i love my over-engineered Gen3 Leone so much.

yeah...so many things change is 20 years....

DSCF4265.JPG

:grin: I'm guessing it's a 3.900 Viscous..... if the innards are identical to the Turbo Legacy VLSD, then you could use those stubs so it would work with the EA81/82 rear axles.....

that cant be a sti rear because they use a r-180 and that is a r-160 and even if it was from a STI they dont use a viscous rear it has a mechanical limited slip

It is an STi diff. Holding it up under an STi and Legacy XT...its the same unit.

as far as the VLSD vs clutch type on the STi...

I've seen the parts catalog...SUBARU calls is a mecanical...yes...WRX is a viscous....yes....but...up in the air, they both act the SAME....they act as a viscous.

As far as contents...the rear diff from Stompy was sent off to get built up...Triple E Performance (who builds all the Spec Miata diffs and more) tore it down...basically his responce was "This is an open diff with useless clutch plates in it."