Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scrapping the Cannister

(EA82T) Hi, I havnt got room for my carbon cannister in my engine bay (transplant) and wonder wether I can just block off the 4 pipes at the engine -will I get away with this? I know emmisions will be effected but that isnt a problem for me, however I dont want it to run crap! Also planning to block off the vapour line and just run fuel and return lines to the tank. Any thoughts??

Then I was going to place a smaller condensator catch 'jar' alla thread running here at the moment ('how to make your own...').

My car runs fine without the cannister. Others do it too.

Pyro

So do you just block the tubes off with dead ends?

Could run long hoses, but if it doesnt make any difference I'd rather get rid!

cheers guys.

So do you just block the tubes off with dead ends?

Could run long hoses, but if it doesnt make any difference I'd rather get rid!

cheers guys.

I learned everything I know about Soobs by searching this board. If you have time to do some reading you will discover that getting rid of emmisions control devices and eqipment has, at times, been a hotly debated subject. There is literaly hours of material here.

The equipment IS there for a reason. Weather or not the reason is important to you, is up to you.

I really don't like to reccomend getting rid of this stuff. I have grandchildren. I do indeed want them to have non-poisenous air to breath when they grow up.

With that said, I run a weber, no emmisions control. The engine will run with no vacume lines except brake boost and vacume advance. PCV is a good idea too. And I hear that plugging the fuel tank vent can cause probs. Does it run as well as WITH all those emmisions control systems? That is relative. Everything is.

Pyro-hipprocrit-manic

All of the above are my opinions only, and worth exactly what you paid for them.

I learned everything I know about Soobs by searching this board. If you have time to do some reading you will discover that getting rid of emmisions control devices and eqipment has, at times, been a hotly debated subject. There is literaly hours of material here.

The equipment IS there for a reason. Weather or not the reason is important to you, is up to you.

I really don't like to reccomend getting rid of this stuff. I have grandchildren. I do indeed want them to have non-poisenous air to breath when they grow up.

With that said, I run a weber, no emmisions control. The engine will run with no vacume lines except brake boost and vacume advance. PCV is a good idea too. And I hear that plugging the fuel tank vent can cause probs. Does it run as well as WITH all those emmisions control systems? That is relative. Everything is.

Pyro-hipprocrit-manic

All of the above are my opinions only, and worth exactly what you paid for them.

thanks for replying, yeh not too worried about contribution to the environment, by using the engine in the first place instead of buying a new car I'm saving shed loads of 'resources'! & wont be doing that many mile anyway!

I'll have a search and a read of more, thanks.

thanks for replying, yeh not too worried about contribution to the environment, by using the engine in the first place instead of buying a new car I'm saving shed loads of 'resources'! & wont be doing that many mile anyway!

I'll have a search and a read of more, thanks.

Ya know, that's a darn good point. Recycling a 20 year old car IS good thing eh? Maybe makes up for some of the "non-green" things we do to them for preformance AND esthetics.

Pyro-maybenotsohypocritic-manic

Wait a minute Habib99! What do you mean that you don't have room for the emissions cannister? I have a GL-10 that is plantiful in the modification department and I didn't have to do away with my emissions cannister. What kind of car did you implant the EA82T in if you don't mind me asking?

Wait a minute Habib99! What do you mean that you don't have room for the emissions cannister? I have a GL-10 that is plantiful in the modification department and I didn't have to do away with my emissions cannister. What kind of car did you implant the EA82T in if you don't mind me asking?

into a beetle based 356 speedster, not much room out back at all! besides I havnt got the whole evap system with the fuel tank, just feed and return.

HOLY SMOKES!!!:slobber: That's pretty cool if you ask me. Wow! Now that sheds some light onto the subject. Yeah, I guess you're right about not being able to mount the cannister. If a porsche motor barely fits in a VW, I know a subaru motor would be a tight squeeze. Well, once it's running, enjoy. That should be a very fast little car!

HOLY SMOKES!!!:slobber: That's pretty cool if you ask me. Wow! Now that sheds some light onto the subject. Yeah, I guess you're right about not being able to mount the cannister. If a porsche motor barely fits in a VW, I know a subaru motor would be a tight squeeze. Well, once it's running, enjoy. That should be a very fast little car!

yep its gonna be a lovely little subaru powered motor. I'll post a pic or two in the transplants forum once complete and running :D