Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Turbo Wagon...What Should My Little Buddy Idle At?

Well...

The subject heading basically asks the question.

My 1984 turbo wagon (AT obviously) seems to be idling low. I've noticed this for a while but, thought it was just worn/loose drive belts. I replaced both belts and I still get the same low idle. Here's a break down:

Start the car cold, idles to like 1k-1.2k...Normal

Start the car when warm, idles at like 500...Hmm

It's not a starting problem, but when the car warms up to normal operating temperature, it idles real low.

So, with the car idling so low, I'll come to a stop sign with my headlights and blinker on and the RPMS will be at 500 and my volt meter will read less than 12v, usually sitting somewhere in the red, like the 9-10v range. As soon as I give the car gas (gettin the belts going/RPMs up) the volts will go right back up to what they should be.

Hmmm...

So, what do you guys think?

-Dan

Blehh...

See that's the thing...I'm pretty sure it should be idling somewhere between 700 and 800 rpm's.

The headlights get dim when I come to a stop, so I'm sorta thinkin it might be the alternator but, I want to adjust the idle and determine if that's the problem before I go out and get a new/used alternator, know what I mean??? :eh:

Here's my thoughts...

Low idle=dim headlights=Cost of adjusting idle=Free :D

Low idle=dim headlights=new alternator=ehhh, I don't want to think about it. :-\ :-\ :-\

you could do the poor man's fix by tightening up the throttle cable a hair. it adjusts with the 12mm nuts. adjust them so it ightens up the cable enough to get enough rpm to keep volts up

se if you can get a volt meter and chek for voltage. you should have a good 14 volts. check that before boosting your idle up.

if its anything less than 14 volts, replace the alternator

auto zone ovffers free alternator testing. just drive there and take the alt off on site to have it tested, put it back on to leave!