Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rolling Fog Bank

Ok.... here we go again.

The engine is running great idling and all. I drove it around town until I heard a weird non-rhythmic clicking, which we figured out is the axle the tech kids messed up that had to be re-threaded.

I took it out to clean it for a show tomorrow and now there's thick smoke rolling out of the valve cover hoses. It's pale blue smoke... smells good, like normal exhaust, not sweet, acrid or that nasty burnt smelling stuff.

Right now the hoses are hooked into a T fitting and venting under the car. These hoses should hook into the air cleaner canister. Tim put a small air filter on the end of it and it collected a lot of oil in it.

In the past, it would only puff a bit, now it's a major smoke screen. There's also tons of smoke spewing out the tail pipe?!

We just put a new carb on it and it's never run this long at any time. I put Seafom in the oil a few months ago, but never really ran it.. could it still be the Seafoam burning off or could it have thinned the oil too much?

We're going to change the oil tomorrow to see if that helps.

Mary, you might want to check the PCV on it to see if its going bad. Pull it out (its on the top of the intake on the driver side) and rattle it around. If you hear a metal ticking sound as you rattle it, its still good but if there is no sound, try cleaning it with some carb cleaner to clean the gunk out of it. Best thing to do is to replace it with a new one since they're not too expensive, maybe 10 bucks at most...

Mary, you might want to check the PCV on it to see if its going bad. Pull it out (its on the top of the intake on the driver side) and rattle it around. If you hear a metal ticking sound as you rattle it, its still good but if there is no sound, try cleaning it with some carb cleaner to clean the gunk out of it. Best thing to do is to replace it with a new one since they're not too expensive, maybe 10 bucks at most...

Oh ok.. I read something about that when I did a search. I didn't think I had one since they were talking about an EA82 <shrug>

Oh ok.. I read something about that when I did a search. I didn't think I had one since they were talking about an EA82 <shrug>

An EA82? Typo, or lack of info? Either way, everything since you and I were in elementary school have had PCVs. The smoke out the tailpipe make me doubt that the PCV is the problem, as it seems that you are still getting oily gases into the intake (or at least the combustion chamber).

Still the PCV was my first guess and a good place to start and rule that out.

An EA82? Typo, or lack of info? Either way, everything since you and I were in elementary school have had PCVs. The smoke out the tailpipe make me doubt that the PCV is the problem, as it seems that you are still getting oily gases into the intake (or at least the combustion chamber).

Still the PCV was my first guess and a good place to start and rule that out.

Brain freeze would be my guess... I read a million posts regarding this problem... I'm just as confused as I was last night when it looked like David Copperfield was practicing a new act... poof! Much to Tim's dismay, when the smoke cleared the Brat was still there :(

The PCV makes sense... I have never seen it, so like so many other pieces/parts, it may be missing altogether... the smoke out of the tail pipe is no where near as bad as it is from the valve cover hoses.

I went in a read some posts regarding Seafoam, so I'm leaning toward the Seafoam thinning the oil too much and causing it to escape into hostile territory and being vaporized maybe? It isn't burnt looking or smelling when it collects in that filter... it's clean, bright, doesn't really feel real slickery like oil out of the bottle... it feels more like WD40 or 3-in-1?

... It isn't burnt looking or smelling when it collects in that filter... it's clean, bright, doesn't really feel real slickery like oil out of the bottle... it feels more like WD40 or 3-in-1?

That is weird. The "clean and bright" part sort of rules out blow-by (which should be heavily laced with carbon particles). Almost sounds like it is a distillate, as in some volatile material (Seafoam???) is in the oil and is just being evaporated from it.

Yes, that's how the viscosity feels, more refined, like for a sewing machine... so I sure hope it's just the Seafoam. With the old carb being all ditzy I never could get it up to operating temperature long enough to run it out. I'll pick up a filter tomorrow and change it out with fresh 10W40 and see what happens.

I'll also check for that PCV... anyone know where there's a picture of one on the car? I am finding that it's tough to find and identify something especially when it isn't there or it's been "reconfigured" beyond recognition... for instance, I needed 3 different sized wrenches to pull the alternator 2 metric and one SAE!? It's a trip! LOL!

I could try to get you a picture of my 82 2-barrel manifold, but last time I tried to upload I had some difficulties.

On my EA81 2-barrel, the PCV valve is on the back side of the manifold, basically horizontal and around a 45degree angle to the centerline. If you follow the valve cover hoses, one will lead to the PCV valve; on mine, the driver's side goes to a plastic "T", with one leg running to the PCV valve.

I do seem to recall looking through a Chilton's (yech!) that the EA71 might have an odd PCV system. I'll see if I can find it.

Tim changed out the oil today. It was like water, no viscosity at all. It still smokes a bit under load, but nothing like it was. Now I'll hunt down the PCV and see if that's contributing to the smoke.

He went to change the front passenger axle and the outer wheel bearing is shot again. It doesn't even have 200 miles on it?! What's up with that?

He went to change the front passenger axle and the outer wheel bearing is shot again. It doesn't even have 200 miles on it?! What's up with that?

bad bearings. make sure you buy from a reputable bearing manufacturer... I bought rear wheel bearings for my yamaha blaster 4wheeler one time, and they were gone in less than a week. and when we took them out? there were no needles left in the bearing.. they had all shredded and turned to dust. these are sealed pregreased bearings. they were marked "made in china."

we went and bought good bearings, never had another problem

Back when I got the car and the tranny went, A "professional" mechanic replaced the bearings that I got from Autozone. The pair was $11.00 and the seals were $4.00. I got some from my new parts man and they were $37.00 for the set and $11.00 seals... you probably hit it operose... cheap bearings... the seals were a way different looking type... it was kind of open... I remember thinking, how in heck is that gonna keep the grease from flinging out?

As for the axle... the one axle was stripped by the tech students and remachined... apparently they stripped the both, but only got caught with one. Plus this one didn't have a hole for the cotter key from the git go?? Bad rebuild.

Tonight Tim replaced the axle (with cotter key) and wheel bearings (well-packed with hi-temp grease)... poor guy... about 100% humidity hot as Hades. He's a great guy!

The smoke has calmed down A LOT >>> :) I do have a new PVC, I saw the picture Pat, thanks! I looked forever and can't find where it goes, I don't see anything that looks like it. It was getting dark, so I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Odometer is reset... let's see how long she runs this time... what was the record so far? 38.6 miles? I measure in MPB (miles per breakdown) not MPG (miles per gallon)...

We went all over this thing. There is no PCV on it.

So, I resorted to the books...

HTKYSA tells me that only some 77-78 models had the PCV. Beginning in '79 they all had them.

Bentley diagrams show me no PCV until '79. All the 77/78 diagrams show configurations of non-4WD models for example: high altitude automatic or manual, California automatic or manual... etc. but they all say (except 4WD)? I don't see a diagram for 4WD manual.

The car's original title was from California, so am overstepping myself to assume it would have California emissions? Would I then be really silly and assume that California emissions would include a PCV?

This is like playing 20 Questions. Yikes!

We went all over this thing. There is no PCV on it.

So, I resorted to the books...

HTKYSA tells me that only some 77-78 models had the PCV. Beginning in '79 they all had them.

Bentley diagrams show me no PCV until '79. All the 77/78 diagrams show configurations of non-4WD models for example: high altitude automatic or manual, California automatic or manual... etc. but they all say (except 4WD)? I don't see a diagram for 4WD manual.

The car's original title was from California, so am overstepping myself to assume it would have California emissions? Would I then be really silly and assume that California emissions would include a PCV?

This is like playing 20 Questions. Yikes!

So, I guess we are talking about your 78 Brat? It might have been implied from the beginning, but I am somtimes feeble of mind. :grin:

Chilton's (blech!!) also is very confused on this. I do have a couple of thoughts. The first is: What is the likelyhood that this is the original, unmolested motor that came with the car? The second is: What does what you have look like? Chilton's (Blech!) shows the non-PCV equipped engine having hoses running from valve cover to air filter; does this sound like yours?

Bingo! That's mine.

A fat hose runs out of each valve cover into the "T" fitting on the underside of the air cleaner canister.

When I got the car, the hoses were connected to a plastic "T" fitting and the third leg was just hanging down and venting into the engine compartment.

Mary! I love reading your escapaded with the 78...I hope it all works out. I am starting to live with my Fog Bank..but it stops after a minute or 2 now.

Hey you got me beat on the MPB...I have only managed to get a wopping 1 mile on the coupe so far...now the brakes are out in it.

Just a stab in the dark here...and you can tell me if you replaced or already checked this or if I am just being a dumb idiot (which is most likely)...but have you checked to see if one of those hoses going to the air filter are clogged??

...When I got the car, the hoses were connected to a plastic "T" fitting and the third leg was just hanging down and venting into the engine compartment.

It was a "T" fitting and not an "F" fitting on the driver's side of the air cleaner (used on PCV systems)? Also, the Chilton's (blech!) mentions a "special" oil pan on the early non-PCV systems. My interpretation is that the oil pan has some sort of air-inlet vent, but it was just a passing reference without any pics. :-\

No matter, as it sounds like your quest for the PCV valve has ended.