Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82turbo transplant idea

AKIRA

I have a 1984 Subaru Brat GL and I want to try a 9.5:1 GL-10 Trubo engine and 5spd D/R transplant.

I know I can do the tranny, that is the easey part.

I am not sure if I can do the engine transplant, the wiring sounds veryhard.

But I have an idea, can I change the engine's fuel injection system to a CIS-E system and use that systems simpler computer?

see, I don't know what the turbos comp. monitors and if it would run with just the CIS-E system?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:boohoo:

here is an idea:

if you already have an ea81trubo, drop a spfi motor in there. the ea81t is a single port, and the intake would bolt up to the spfi motor. the only problem is the ea81t injectors are in the head. so you wuld have to invent a way to add the injectors.

you could drop in the ea82t use the existing ea81t wiring harness, and onnect it to the ea82t manifold. i dont know if its a direct plug-and -play, but you might get away with using the ea82t distributor if your motor came from an 85-86. if the manifold is not a direct plug and play, you could at least taks the manifold wiring from the ea81t intake and put it onto the ea82 t intake and injectors.

both of these idead are quite pissible without having to do an entire wiring harness swap.

the ea81t has the aurbox and battery the same ad an ea82, wheras an normal ea81 has the battery opposite side of ea82's

the idea you are talking about would have to take the entire wiring harness from an ea82t. then you would have to put the ea82t heads and intake onto the pfi short block.

as long as you know enough about what you are doing, it is quite possible. but first off i would recommend knowing your homework about how such systems work, and know your way around your subarus by getting your hands dirty!!!

it can still be done, using the ea82t or any other motor with turbo heads and intake, wiring harness. firs off you will have to set upt he brat for an ea82 motor. then you will have to get the whole wiring harness, mount the airbox (it should fit in the same manner as an ea81t's box)

its very important that you know all that's involved and know what to expect, and have everything you need before you get involvrd.

if you get all the stuff you need, here is what i suggest:

install your turbo wiring harness and leave your existing motor alone until the wiring hrness is in. that way you can still drive it like it is, intil it is finally ready to drop-in the turbo motor!!!

you should be able to round up a few board members in your locale to coach you through the process.

so is the wiring the only "Really" hard part?

generally, how do you actually do it, because it may be easier than I think?

I would do this, 9.5:1 pistons, air intake, turbo-back exhaust, 93 octane and an octane increaser.

cooler theromstat, accel ignition, 8mm plug wires, stock boost because of the increased comp., and more.

maybe I can get a whole GL-10 cheap, and just strip it? (I would do rear discs then)

To answer your question about the CIS-E system...

I'm planning to do a VERY similar project. I'm going to be putting an EA81T into my '80 Hatchback (same engine bay as your Brat). I'm going to be using the CIS-E system for this swap. It is my belief that CIS-E will have no problems keeping up with stock boost levels. I also believe that it would only take a small amount of tuning to make it work at higher boost levels. I should mention that CIS-E will only work if you have a stand-alone ignition system. I believe that '85-'86 EA82T cars had this, but I know for sure that the '87+ EA82T cars did not.

Whether you go with CIS-E or stock ECU, you're in for a whopper of a job. I agree with Miles that you should get the wiring harness finished first while you can still drive the car. It will certainly be the most tedious part of the job. Other problematic spots will be your fuel pump, airbox/battery location, and radiator fan clearance... and those will be problems with either fuel system.

Are you using a turbo donor car? That would make it much easier to figure things out. If you are pulling from a wrecker, do it yourself and take your time to follow these steps:

As you disconnect the turbo harness , label on the wires on tape where each connector or plug goes to, and what each pin/wire does (figure it out with wiring diagrams and DVOM, and tracing to the source), because you will probably have to do some splicing to integrate. Taking pictures with a digital camera would also help you decide on the routes to run the wires. Some people on the board should have FSM's they could photocopy pages out of, I am not sure of the haynes diagrams, they will probably be too generic in order to cross different models/years, you could get one anyways. Actually get one for the turbo and the brat!

ps always solder and shrink wrap splices!