Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 3 weeks later...

OK, maybe a bit late, but anyway... I checked the floorpans of the 2WD and 4WD cars, and it seems that they use the same parts. However, there is a difference between Sedans and Stationwagons/Touringwagons. But 2WD and 4WD are identical.

If you have the parts (tranny, prop shaft, rear diff, rear subframe, rear trailing arms, rear wheels hubs, rear drive shafts) you can modify a 2WD car into a 4WD/AWD.

Good luck, I'll let you know how my project turns out.

I dont see why it would be any different then the older ones. You need all those parts when converting old models to 4WD.

I think it would be much easier to swap in a new engine on a blown up 4WD model :) I know that doesnt always work out either however.

I'm half way thorugh converting my old GL wagn from 2WD to 4WD. After doing all this, owning a Legacy myself and working on plenty I think its doable and wo uld be a blast.

It's not a small job even on the old ones - believe me, as I'm one of the few people who has done it. I can imagine the newer ones would be worse, and probably much more expensive to do. I did it on my 84 cause it would have been VERY hard to find another car as nice as mine, and the parts to do it can be had pretty cheap. But even on the older stuff it's still more cost effective and time effective to just find a 4WD model. So unless there is something special about the 2WD that makes it worth it, or you happen to have a 2WD AND a wrecked 4WD, or something along those lines......

GD

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=385838&highlight=converting+to+AWD

Q: "What components are needed to convert a FWD Subaru to AWD? Also read as 'Transmission swap technicalities'"

A: A new transmission will be required. Along with the new transmission comes the front diff, center diff, and tailshaft. You must also get the corresponding driveline for the transmission (side note here, if you are merely swapping one AWD transmission

for another the MT typically shares one driveline between all other MTs and the ATs share another driveline; the STi 6-speed uses an AT driveline). There are many rear diff options, and any of them can be used as long as the final drive matches the final drive of the rear diff of the donor car the transmission came from. Front axles should be interchangeable, but newer axles are thicker. CV strength has remained the same and are not a weak point. Rear open diffs can be found on most Subaru models. Rear LSD s came on some Legacy Turbos, Some SVXs, 2000-2001 2.5RSs, and 2002+ WRXs. While final drive ratios vary, the axle splines do not. Your diff choice governs which rear axles are to be used. You will either need rear axles from an open diff Legacy or GC/GF/GM Impreza for an open diff or rear LSD axles from a 2000-2001 Impreza 2.5RS (ask for axles from 05/2000+ to be safe) for a rear LSD. If you are converting from AT to MT or viceversa, you will need the corresponding ECU since the AT ECU expects a TCU signal. You can spoof it as some have done.

"What else is needed?" Along with the basic driveline components, you are going to need most of the rear suspension and mounts from the transmission back. This includes the transmission crossmember, rear diff crossmember (and all in between), AWD gastank with driveline hump, struts and springs, AWD knuckles, a plethora of bushings, with the possibility of lateral links, swaybar, and trailing arms also being needed. Your best bet is to find an entire donor car that can be stripped. If that is not an option, you will be, as beachbum has said, 'nickle-and-dimed to death'.

I dont want to make this sound simple or anything but your final paragraph makes it sound overly complex Kevin. You dont need to track down all of those individual parts for the rear, you just pull the entire rear main subframe assembly with all that crap still attached to itself.

What GeneralDisorder and Kevin are both saying, in general, is true. Its a major project. I have 16 hours of hard labor into my swap right now and I'm half way to 4WD. Granted I'm installing a lift kit at the same time but honestly that's one of the easier aspects of this project.