Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My lights finally came in!

LosDiosDeVerde86

I'd like to see Mudrat or someone make a quick mounting light bar for Legacys. Same idea as what the rally folks use but for just a couple of lights and not super expensive. The mounts would be permenently installed and discrete, but the light bar itself would quickly detatch. There's gotta be a market for something like this. Guess I'll have to work on designing it myself so I can put my Hella 500s to use.

I'd like to see Mudrat or someone make a quick mounting light bar for Legacys. Same idea as what the rally folks use but for just a couple of lights and not super expensive. The mounts would be permenently installed and discrete, but the light bar itself would quickly detatch. There's gotta be a market for something like this. Guess I'll have to work on designing it myself so I can put my Hella 500s to use.

Make it rotate down, so you can put stuff on your roof rack when not using the lights :brow:

i was going to do this, but i didn't get ambitious enough, maybe when i get back up to school, and can use all the scrap metal from the shop :drunk:

well...i didn't exactly have to wait long...like 3 days.

BUT I GOT EM!

i got a set of 2 Hella 500 6" round Auxilary driving lights for my 96 legacy!

now i'm going to minekie to get some exhaust pipe bent and welded for a brush guard.

if only i could afford a mudrat bumper..

so have you mounted them yet?

except mine are KC's that don't overpower my highbeams :rolleyes:

i don't think they'll overpower my highs,they're only 55watts and my highs are 60w.

(haven't had the chance to check cause i just woke up after falling asleep at around 5-6pm and here it is midnight.maybe i'll go out an check,maybe take some pics)

Ok, before anyone says anything, i know i have way to much time on my hands...

Here's what i came up with for my light spectrum...

10420lighting.jpg

Not really accurate or anything, but you get the point.. and my fog lights are nowhere near being as perfect as that.. one points almost straight down.. :rolleyes:

and my fog lights are nowhere near being as perfect as that.. one points almost straight down.. :rolleyes:

:lol: i've had a set(not really a set)

well one was killed by a tree branch and the other would aim were ever it wanted to.just flop around as i'm going down the street.

quite funny to see at night,this beam of light just going all over the place.i should be ashamed really,being that lazy and not fixing it.

Ok, before anyone says anything, i know i have way to much time on my hands...

Here's what i came up with for my light spectrum...

10420lighting.jpg

Not really accurate or anything, but you get the point.. and my fog lights are nowhere near being as perfect as that.. one points almost straight down.. :rolleyes:

my kc's look more like my high beems but are travel a long ways farther and more of a narrow beam

You could probably make one, or have something made, or make some mounts for a thule rack or something. I wouldn't ever put lights on the roof, though. They tend to throw up a lot of glare from the hood.

The Hella FF1000s I have above my bumper put out more than enough light for nighttime road rallies on dark, twisty roads. The only thing I could see doing is maybe getting some smaller cornering lights to go under the bumper where the little fog light holes are. If I really wanted to get crazy and make my Legacy a full-on rally car, I'd get some hood mounted light pods.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just went out on a dark road and aimed them where I wanted them to go. Then, I went home and parked in my parking spot and put little pieces of black tape at the center of each beam, so when they get out of adjustment (tree branches are the main culprit) I can get them back in shape easily.

Here's a pic of my setup:

275IMG_0474.jpg

They're 55W Pilot Navigators. Not quite as bright as I'd like, but for $30 a pair, I can't complain. They're tough as all hell, though.

Sorry, by the center of each beam, I meant on the wall, at the center of each beam. I guess that wasn't quite clear :) . So there's 8 pieces of tape on the wall, and two on the floor behind the car for the rear lights.

I found the longest, straightest, darkest road near my apartment (Sand Point Way, for those of you in the area). It's level and straight for about two miles, which is WAY more than enough for these lights. A big flat parking lot would work great too.

EDIT: As you can see in the picture, they're currently out of adjustment :) .

This is a pretty good guide to aiming lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The site has other good lighting info, as well.

I still haven't done it according to the guide, though; I just half-assed it on the wall in my lot. I think they could be aimed a little higher, even though they put out quite a bit more light farther down the road than the high beams.

DSC01809.jpg

This is a pretty good guide to aiming lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The site has other good lighting info, as well.

I still haven't done it according to the guide, though; I just half-assed it on the wall in my lot. I think they could be aimed a little higher, even though they put out quite a bit more light farther down the road than the high beams.

i just finished reading the guide, :confused: was somewhat complicated.i think i'll just do what you did.