Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Advice On Clicking Noise

Wagonpowaa and I recently got back from a trip and while we were driving his brat we noticed what I thought was some nasty clicking from his axles. We replaced his axles but the noise is still there. Now, he did get his brakes done and was in the shop a few times to make sure the job was done correctly (the e-brake still has issues). We were wondering if anyone has had similar problems with their gen one cars. It definatly sounds like a pair of bad CVs, but it obviously isn't. It goes away when he steps on the brakes and the pads DO NOT have any silencing goo on the back. Could this pe brake noise after all? Please help us as this noise is not only loud and obnoxious, but pretty scary to hear while driving. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Sounds like what mine was doing last week. Sounded like the whole wheel was coming off! It was my front passenger bearings.

Take the axle out and spin the bearings around with your finger. If they feel "wonky", or "catch" a little, then change them.

Word of warning, the set I got from Autozone lasted less than 100 miles... even the seals were funky. I got Timken this time, they felt heftier and the seals actually sealed... we'll see.

You probably are aware of this part:

When you take them out to replace them, there are two sets per wheel. There is a shoulder that's built into the knuckle that separates them, so don't try to press them out (like the "professional" did to mine, 10 ton press, no dice. Tim took it and looked inside and had them out in a few seconds).

Take something like a 1/2" drive extension or something solid to hit it and drive the front one out from the back and the back one out from the front.

Tim just did my axle (bad rebuild and stripped by the tech kids), and front bearings on Monday.

The noise is gone.

Definitly not the bearings as I've had those replaced recently, and it's not really that kind of creeking noise that bearings make. It's more of a clickity clickity. We put the car up on jack stands and let the wheels spin in first, reved her a couple of times and turn the wheel, but there was no noise. We figured there was no noise because there was no weight.

The clicking gets louder and more frequent with more speed, but goes away when the wheel is turned to the right, or the brakes are applied. Any other ideas on what it could be?

If your sure that it isnt the bearings put some brake silence on the back of the pads between each plate on the back of the pad. while you have the wheels off check the backing plates and anythink that could rub on anything that turns like the rotor or the wheel.

Word of warning, the set I got from Autozone lasted less than 100 miles... even the seals were funky. I got Timken this time, they felt heftier and the seals actually sealed... we'll see.

The noise is gone.

I got a set of Timken's from Autozone! works fine