Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clicking noise in reverse...

I've got a weird one that I'm not having much luck pinpointing the cause of. I've got an '84 Brat GL that's slowly evolving, but it's got this strange noise in reverse gear:

If the tranny is in reverse gear and the car is moving backward (under load or not, clutch in or out) it makes a noise like playing cards in bike spokes. I've been under the car a million times, but haven't spotted the problem (it's remarkably quiet when it's sitting still). Haven't quite figured out the logistics of hanging underneath the car while moving either, and haven't convinced the wife that squatting in the engine bay while she backs it up is a good idea...

So, before I put her back up on the jackstands and start tearing into things, any ideas?

Thanks-

-CPTFrench

See if she likes this idea better.

Strap yourself to the underbody with bungee cords and ask her to run around the yard in reverse :D

Ok seriously though this is weird. Is the noise coming from the engine bay? mid section? rear end? You say it does it in gear or out of gear but ONLY while rolling backwards?

Sounds like mid-section, you should see some of the stunts I've pulled trying to figure it out. I oughtta get hazard pay.

And no, it HAS to be in reverse, but makes the noise whether or not the clutch is engaged. Stopped, no noise. Rolling backward, clikclikclikclik.

It's driving me nuts, and I REALLY don't want to tear into this transmission/differential/transfer case these things have. Transdiffercase anyone? :D

My 82 used to make a slow click/knock as I backed up.

Turns out it was my brakes knocking a bit only when I backed up.

Talked with a brake place and they said its somewhat normal as brakes wear and unless the pads were worn out, not to worry about it.

Maybe this is what your experiencing?

Jack it up!

For what its worth,

Glenn

82 Hatch, .....transforming:temper:

01 Forester, ....jealous......:madder:

After careful examination, I've discovered I need a new rearend, mine's cracked.

As for the Brat, gotta keep yuz in suspense for a bit, won't be able to look at it until this weekend. I'm hoping it isn't major repair again, had the whole front end off for months. Did I forget to mention the couple of CV boots I went through before discovering (on this board, thanx to whoever mentioned it) that if your converter has lost its heat shield, it loves to cook the joint? Heat shield? WHAT heat shield??? *sigh*

Then there's that inconveniencing hurricane that's aimed right over my house...