A final farewell...

TheSubaruJunkie

It all started with a mint '84 Wagon:

004_G.jpg

Had to add the brush guard to start it off:

011_G.jpg

Oh wait... this one works better:

04_G.jpg

But things wouldn't stop there. One call to PK Davis, a few hundred out of the fun fund and we have this:

Picture_004.sized.jpg

The car was complete. She served well. Made a round trip to Washington to wheel with the hatch patrol:

New_Image4.sized.jpg

A year later she made a trip to Medford to wheel with the Rogue Roo's:

New_Image3.sized.jpg

I even made a trip to the Rubicon & Fordyce Creek with a fellow jeepin buddy of mine:

001_G.jpg

None of that could stop the little beast, except one thing....

...California Smog Nazi's :-\

So now, here she sits as of today:

DSC00569.sized.jpg

On the trailer, preparing for her final trip into the mountains. After sitting for over 14 months, i slapped a good battery in her, turned on the fuel pump and cranked her over. A few revolutions and she fired right up! It sickened me to drive her onto the trailer, but its some of the last wheeling she will see.

Her journey will take her to reno, where she will shed her parts and help another Subaru live long, to hopefully one day beat those Nazi's who took her away from me.

Godspeed my trusty little wagon... you have served me well :(

-Brian

p.s.

Stay tuned for the next rig.

The TWB rack is on there still. Most those pix are pre-TWB time (notice the old brushguard as opposed to the new one pictured on the trailer).

The new subaru will be revieled in a couple weeks. Going to pull a Zap and do a little secret work here. The TWB Rack is going to Subieman, and the guard and bumper and all other goodies (brakes, engine etc...) will go on the next rig.

JB... we might be able to take it on one final, guilt-free, run before the dismantle. But its no fun to drive when your sitting on a milk carton :lol:

-Brian

I'm tearing up just a bit... ;)

I went and took my 82 Hatch out for one final ride before I began the transformation.

Just me and my friend for 22 years (GL Hatch) out for a final drive....

We set a new land speed record that day!

Old Subies never die they just disburse their parts... :headbang:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--much happier now

01 Forester--still a little jealous

She doesnt have a name... I usually dont own my Subarus long enough to name them. THey are "he's" when im mad at them, and "She's" when im speaking good about them.

Her replacement wont be any bigger, but will be better. We'll see where we go with that :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, its going to make it easier to tear her apart.

-Brian

I'm teh nerd, so i look at the subie like spock, he "died" in the second movie but wasn't really dead, cause his Vulcan soul lived on, so too shall your Subie's soul live on.

or there's the organ donor approach, she must give her life so that others might live.

either way, i'm sorry for your loss

I shall wear black for a time fitting to mourn your loss.

The Brat I just bought is my 28th (running) Soob in the last 5 or so years. I can part with them no problem. :brow:

Out of all of them I only miss the leg wagon we sold to Ken, Bob, and the blue hatch I sold to get the grocery getter.

Grass'll be greener, you'll see Brian.

p.s. Secretmobile's kick rump roast. :drunk:

This sube is only 1 of the 11 I have had. But this one held a special part of my heart... it was my dream subaru. But all good things must come to an end.

The car is safe in Reno NV, where it will start its decomposition. I will strip it down to nothing, and transfer its bits and pieces into the next off-road rig of mine.

Lift, Brakes, Bumper... Engine and everything but the body and tranny will be used.

-Brian

Hey Brian, check out the Marketplace. :brow: 84 4wd wagon, I can sell it to you, bone stock for, say 600. Excellent condition, Power steering!, power windows, straight body, good interior, no leaks, has all the emissions stuff on it to please even the most green of californian!!

Not quite sure, I think the carburator needed to be rebuilt. But I went through it and installed new gaskets not too long ago. The car ran great but failed twice.

On the last trip I took it on, I pretty much put the car out of its misery. While taking a detour to catch up to my jeepin buddy's, i slid sideways into a tree. Pushed the passenger front door in pretty bad.

We then got on the main trail and traversed down a cavern of granite. The bottom of the ravine had a creek which was fun to cross. I was able to wheel with them but when it was time to get back to camp the wagon started to show its weakness.

My car was still loaded with some camping and rescue gear, plus I had 3 passengers (all the kids wanted to ride in the subaru). I wasnt able to make it back up the canyon wall, and had to be practically drug up the trail by my friend and his CJ7. I smoked the clutch pretty well in the meantime but it was a new setup and she took the beating pretty well.

At the top we headed back to camp. We didn't get far before a piece of granite put a good gash in my front drivers side tire. :banghead: Nothing pisses me off more while wheeling than destroying a tire. Oh well, slap my stupid street tire spare on and hobble back to camp.

The drive home from that trip was a long and painful one. The wagon had developed some new noises from the wheeling, and the transmission finally decided to spit 3rd gear. :( When I got home and parked her, I knew it wouldnt move for a while, and it didn't.

-Brian

• 3 weeks later...

ah, this hurts man - I remember following this car from the day you got it all the way through pushguards/brushguards - lights, tires, racks, the bobcat sticker, wheeling in this car as a passenger - getting pulled over outside of Seattle doing like 74. She led a good life. Sad to see 'er go but that soob made good memories.

Now Brian, the new one has a lot to live up to - dont dissapoint :drunk:

- Erik -