Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got my first Scooby doo, a 2002 Forester with 53,000 miles on it. After 2 tanks of gas (87 octane with Methanol) I'm getting 22 1/2 mpg. I live near Denver at about 5200 feet elevation and have a automatic transmission. I've been using the air conitioner and driving to work, some stop and go, and freeway speeds up to 75 mph, is this the kind of milage I can expect? I thought that these were supposed to get 28 mph on the highway.

Moving to New Gen

General rules for gas mileage

Highway driving at sustained speeds - good

87 octane - Bad (would bet your owners manual calls for 89, but elevation plays a part in there too

Auto Tranny - Bad

A/C - Bad

Stop and go - Bad

You have more minuses than pluses. change in fuel, tune and driving habits will help (with emphasis on the change in driving habits.. that is generally the biggest factor)

I believe running the a/c will still give you better mileage than rolling the windows down on the highway due to the added drag. I get 24 out of my 93 Legacy awd auto (2.2l) driving to and from work (a/c on the way home), in conditions ranging from stop and go to 95mph on wide open freeway. I'm pretty sure I need a new O2 sensor, though (CEL comes on for a second sometimes, and last I pulled the codes, it was that), and the air and fuel filter are getting replaced soon. I've seen as high as 27, and that was on open road running light, averaging about 80.

mileage. There is a pretty good chance that for the conditions you drive in that is fairly normal mileage.

In the dead flat area around here I seem to average about 25 mpg with my Forester. Forester box shapes don't help the highway mileage much.

Do a search and you will find what others have for mileage. We sure don't get what those 2.2 legacys and Imps get.

My impreza got 27 the other day, with the box on the factory racks, windows open, camping gear, highway most of they way. I was amazed... a good set of touring tires will help your milage i've seen.. .i went from 22-24 to 25-27. Maybe change your air filter? i should have done that forever ago :rolleyes:

All the above advices re: improving MPG are well meant but not very usefull. It is a fact of life that some cars have better MPG, some worse. Also. driving technique can contribute to a large variation.

I tried tons of things to improve MPG im my subaru to no avail.

I would say your MPG is avarage given the circumstances.

Good luck.

Dents. Lots and lots of dents.

d.

Agreed, I havn't tried this one.

Changing subject, it may be just me but I never saw any diffrence in MPG from going from recommended tire pressure to maximum pressure, in any car I tried. There is usually an improvement in handling with a potentially worse traction in adverse weather. But again, I did not see MPG improvement with the FWD fuse thing, so it could be just me.

• 4 months later...

The best that you will ever get is around 25mpg. It's a lie as far as I'm concerned. In the city (Denver) it is 20-22 at the best. And it's gutless in the mountains. Well, you pay a price for that.

I just got my first Scooby doo, a 2002 Forester with 53,000 miles on it. After 2 tanks of gas (87 octane with Methanol) I'm getting 22 1/2 mpg. I live near Denver at about 5200 feet elevation and have a automatic transmission. I've been using the air conitioner and driving to work, some stop and go, and freeway speeds up to 75 mph, is this the kind of milage I can expect? I thought that these were supposed to get 28 mph on the highway.

Yeah. That's how a golf ball gets its aerodynamic ability. That very well might work.

I get about 20-22 MPG on my Forester in the city anyway with 87 (the only stuff I can afford), but I have a standard.

wats wrong with 87 octane, all the others are a waste unless your car requires it. PS do those stp fuel injectore cleaners , the ones u add to your gas work? im already getting really good mileage (27-28 highway) so it prob wouldent make a difference with me right?