Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford fuel pump installed on an EA82T

1989 GL-10

During my ongoing battle with the ever so common EA82T stumble, I decided to replace the fuel pump. I didn't want to pay $129.00 for a non-subaru replacement, so I looked into a Ford F series pickup transfer pump, the frame mounted one on many late 80's early 90's trucks. It provides 95PSI and 45 GPH but it was $119.00. I checked on the all mighty Ebay, and found a Ford pump for the Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria of the same years. It's a tank mounted pump but it is just like the Truck frame mounted booster pump, just smaller. Same specs too, 95PSI 45 GPH. I picked it up for $35.00 on Ebay. In stores its like $75.00 and up. Carter # P74025 AutoZone # E2182. The pump comes with two fittings, one 3/8" barb, and one 5/16" barb, but they are not 1/8" NPT as you may expect, they are metric. I believe it is 10-1.0 thread. It also comes with hose clamps, ring terminals to crimp onto the connector wires, and a strainer you will never use.

It went into the stock bracket just fine with the rubber sleeve on the pump, I just had to keep it to one side so the output line wouldn't kink up. I used a foot of 5/16 fuel injection fuel line(high pressure) to make the turn. If I did it again, I would put a 90 degree fitting on the output side. I also had to trim about an inch off of the big line from the tank since the pump is shifted to one side. The car runs fine, no stumble on the first drive after the install, we'll see if it stays that way. Oh yeah, make sure you use a pair of vice grips to crimp the fuel lines so you won't get a bath, I actually remembered that this time:banana:

is.php?i=60367&img=pump_1.jpg

is.php?i=60368&img=pump_2.jpg

I too have a mystery stumble. Hadn't considered the fuel pump. So many things "could" be replaced... thanks for the tip on the part, I will look out for it in the boneyards.

On these ford cars, it's in the tank, part of an assembly. I'll try to find out exactly what year and models and post the info.

This info is already posted. Used to be in the USRM but it's gone now. Had full conversion info.

It's a Ford fuel pump and you can get the one used for the F150 EFI early '90s. The one where it had an intake and an inline pump. You want the inline pump.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26464&highlight=ford+fuel+pump

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12875&highlight=ford+fuel+pump

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...