Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need new metal license plate screws. Pep Boys was out of them so I took a look at Loews. Their screws are listed in a different manner and I could not find any there.

The screws are 1/4 by 3/4 slotted hex. Can someone translate this into how Loews and Home Depot would carry them ? Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

:banghead:

I need new metal license plate screws. Pep Boys was out of them so I took a look at Loews. Their screws are listed in a different manner and I could not find any there.

The screws are 1/4 by 3/4 slotted hex. Can someone translate this into how Loews and Home Depot would carry them ? Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

Lowe's has a hardware drawer section specifically for automotive fasteners. Did you bring an old license plate bolt with you to compare it with what's in that section?

I don't have the gauge size handy, but just take one of the screws in with you and match it up.

On every car, I've replaced the screws with stainless steel ones. Phillips pan head usually. Use a washer if need be, but typically not required.

I'm assuming that the screw goes into a plastic grommet. If it is a machine thread screw, then you have to match the threads up.

Commuter

I am guessing that something like a #12 sheetmetal screw would be suitable if you are putting the screws into plastic inserts- ?

Definitely spend the extra cents and buy the stainless ones so you don't stain your plate or car.

-Heikki

I am guessing that something like a #12 sheetmetal screw would be suitable if you are putting the screws into plastic inserts- ?

Definitely spend the extra cents and buy the stainless ones so you don't stain your plate or car.

-Heikki

OH YES....stainless steel all the way. That's why I'm replacing mine....RUST !

~Howard

:)

I managed to pick them up at Loews. I got them in stainless steel. They turned out to be 1/4-20 x 3/4 slotted hex screws. I couldn't get them in a slotted hex format so I got them in a normal slotted head. I added a small rubber washer to each side to boot.

~Howard

:D

• 6 months later...

Ok even tho the size iz imperial I can tell you what the numbers mean and stainless steel is by far the best choice.

1/4=diametre of screw which in metric is about 6mm(6.35 to be exact)

20 is the Threads per inch

3/4=length of screm measured from below the head about 19mm for us metric dudes..

Now for my little rant one thing that bugs me and you guys in the US may not have a large choice is the use of a combination of imperial(or US)bolts nuts and Screws on a Metric vehicle it just makes things hard when you are like me a mechanic :)

I managed to pick them up at Loews. I got them in stainless steel. They turned out to be 1/4-20 x 3/4 slotted hex screws. I couldn't get them in a slotted hex format so I got them in a normal slotted head. I added a small rubber washer to each side to boot.

~Howard

:D

Now for my little rant one thing that bugs me and you guys in the US may not have a large choice is the use of a combination of imperial(or US)bolts nuts and Screws on a Metric vehicle it just makes things hard when you are like me a mechanic :)

Yeah... I can't guess english bolt sizes by looking at them, because I am too used to working on subarus. I assume everything is a 10, 12, 14, or 17. My darned VW has 11's, 13's and 15's, which is bad enough, without throwing english on there too.... Luckily I have a hardware store with a large metric selection (even metric stainless steel :clap: )

~Howard

Just take a screwdriver to the mall, find a Subaru parked in a spot where you'll be shielded by other cars, and take one of their screws. They will never miss nor notice one screw missing. Three more Subes and you got your license plate snugly fastened. :headbang:

Just take a screwdriver to the mall, find a Subaru parked in a spot where you'll be shielded by other cars, and take one of their screws. They will never miss nor notice one screw missing. Three more Subes and you got your license plate snugly fastened. :headbang:

Dude, how are you gonna steal from another SOOB owner? And mess with his ride to boot? FOR SHAME! If your serious, you don't deserve to drive a subaru. Please tell us it was a bad joke.

On that note, Autozone sells stainless security hardware (allen head with a dimple in the center) for license plates.

Which is sorta what I have holding my personalised plates on my Legacy Stainless steel cheese headed allen cap screws I was a bit paranoid somebody mite have a go at my plates...

Dude, how are you gonna steal from another SOOB owner? And mess with his ride to boot? FOR SHAME! If your serious, you don't deserve to drive a subaru. Please tell us it was a bad joke.

On that note, Autozone sells stainless security hardware (allen head with a dimple in the center) for license plates.

100% tongue-in-cheek remark. :brow: I love my Sube way too much to mess with anyone else's. Heck, I'd have to say, though, that I would give up one of my license plate screws to a fellow Subaru owner in need.

I remember when I got my Legacy wagon there was no license plate and no screws either. I bought a little package from AutoZone and they of course didn't fit. So, I rooted through my stash of misc. screws and found some Subaru body screws and used them instead...so ghetto, I know...

Yes and I sat here and read each post, and I dont even need license plate screws.

Are you Subaru people completely out of your collective MINDS? I mean, ferkrissakes, SIXTEEN (16) freakin' messages about LICENSE PLATE SCREWS. Don't any of you have a li ... uh, wait a minute, this makes seventeen, and *I'M* posting it.

Oh dear.

Is there life outside of Subarus.

I havent been on the MB for awhile I really dont take much notice when the first or last post was...

Did you get some good screws for you plates..

What's really funny is the FIRST post (mine) was way back in JULY 2005! :eek:

GOD........we have to get lives besides Subies.

~Howard

:horse:

• 9 years later...

Well, since I found this post actually looking for License Plate Screws I'll get everyone to read it again. ;)  Then we can all sit around and really wonder about our lifes for reading a post from 2005 about license plate screws. 

lol