Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Forester with squeaky dash

Hi,

I just bought a 2005 Forester 2.5X demo. When I test drove it I noticed that the dashboard squeaked - a styrofoam rubbing sound. The dealership told me they could fix it (tighten some scews under the dash) and that the squeak had also happened on some other Foresters and Legacys. They wrote they would repair it in the sales contract. Has anyone heard about 2005's that have a squeaky dash? Is the dealership fibbing? Is this a defect in this particular car?

All ideas appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cathie

Cathie,

Squeeks and rattles like that are the most common warranty concerns. Just make an appointment with the service dept. (have your sales person get you a loaner for the day if you need one, service can not help here in most cases.)

Make sure you demonstrate the noise to the service person when you leave the car off. Go for a ride with them and show them the noise. This is the only way to get it right, different folks hear different noises, and techs are usually near deaf!

-Sean S.

ww.RalliTEK.com

• 3 months later...

Cathie--did the dealer manage to fix this for you? I have a 2006 Forester that just started making the same noise.

I'll dive under the dash tomorrow and look for screws I can tighten, but it's pretty annoying.

For what it's worth, the dash squeaks like crazy when the car is cold: if I have the heat on full-bore for a while, it goes away.

I SWEAR the other day I heard some squeaking in my '06 WRX wagon! But I don't know if I can reliably duplicate it. I may insist that they at least investigate it so , if it becomes worse in the future, I might get some attention.

Mine seemed forward right of center (I'd say slightly right of the center of the pass. seat but maybe not all the way to the door hinge. approx under the windshield. It was kinda brief.

My 2000 dash was apart recently to work on the instrument cluster and I rode with the tech with the dash open and couldn't recreate the "squeaking" that had developed over time. It certainly sounded like the wirewrap was the culprit but couldn't recereate even while driving and wiggling everything in sight. Now that the dash is closed again, the sound is back. The only other thought I have is that it may be the connection where the extensions for the air ductwork that lead to the louvered vents on the dash meet the main ducts. When the dash was apart, I could see there is one on either side of center behind the radio console and with the dash apart, they were not making contact with each other. When the dash is assembled, they simply wedge together like a collar fit. I haven't investigated this yet as I am trying to determine which yoga position will allow my 6'4" frame to get under far enough to see.

Brus Brother--

How far was the dash disassembled when you were out with the tech and were unable to reproduce the squeak?

It seems to me that the dash is made up of two pieces: part 1 below 1 is the instrument cluster itself, and 2 is a trim overlay/bezel.

foresterdash.png

Click here to see image if it's not displaying inline.

I think what's happening is that part 2 is moving and squeaking against part 1.

If part 2 was removed when you went out with your tech, it would make sense that the squeak went away.

So far, I can't find any screws that would allow me to tighten part 2--not without taking apart trim panels, anyway. Grrr.

Update: there are two screws at the top of part 2--above the speedometer at roughly 11 and 1 o'clock. After removing the screws, the squeak goes away. Not an elegant fix, but it isolated the noise.

I want to remove that part of the dash so I can see what's behind it. I'm wondering if adding some foam-rubber weatherstripping strategically to the back will make the squeak go away.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to remove that part. With the two screws removed, I can tip it forward, but I can't quite remove it. I'm just hesitant to force it in case there are additional screws I can't see--I don't want to fix the squeak by breaking the dash!

Does anyone have any experience in disassembling the Forester's dash?

Update: there are two screws at the top of part 2--above the speedometer at roughly 11 and 1 o'clock. After removing the screws, the squeak goes away. Not an elegant fix, but it isolated the noise.

I want to remove that part of the dash so I can see what's behind it. I'm wondering if adding some foam-rubber weatherstripping strategically to the back will make the squeak go away.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to remove that part. With the two screws removed, I can tip it forward, but I can't quite remove it. I'm just hesitant to force it in case there are additional screws I can't see--I don't want to fix the squeak by breaking the dash!

Does anyone have any experience in disassembling the Forester's dash?

If you can pin down the actual area that squeaks, some SILICONE (not petroleum based) lubricant will help. Look for a dusty area or a different texture where the pices may be moving next to each other. Silicone lube won't attack plastic like most petroleum lubes will. Doesn't smell like oil either.

My '05 OBW dash rattles just left of instruments. If I press down on the dash near the defrost vent it stops until I let up. It's getting anoying and I'm going to have to take it in. Problem is, it doesn't happen all the time and I don't think I can replicate it at the dealer.

Juan

• 1 month later...

Just bought a 2006 Forester X. Days after driving it home, a squeak/rattle started. Sounds like it is coming from the driver's side dash. The Service dept. claimed this was a common problem with the 2006 Foresters and they knew the fix for it.

Days after the "fix", the squeak/rattle was back. I dropped it off at the dealer today for the 2nd attempt.

I'm not happy. Shouldn't have these problems from a brand new car!!!

Actually, the icing on the cake after the 1st "fix" was the ding on the driver's side fender near the hood THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE! Of course, the service dept. claimed they didn't do it, but to keep me "happy" they scheduled an appointment with "The Ding Man". I'm a tough customer - it better look NEW.

Just bought a 2006 Forester X. Days after driving it home, a squeak/rattle started. Sounds like it is coming from the driver's side dash. The Service dept. claimed this was a common problem with the 2006 Foresters and they knew the fix for it.

Days after the "fix", the squeak/rattle was back. I dropped it off at the dealer today for the 2nd attempt.

I'm not happy. Shouldn't have these problems from a brand new car!!!

Actually, the icing on the cake after the 1st "fix" was the ding on the driver's side fender near the hood THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE! Of course, the service dept. claimed they didn't do it, but to keep me "happy" they scheduled an appointment with "The Ding Man". I'm a tough customer - it better look NEW.

When you pick up your car, check the floor mats and seats for oil stains BEFORE the tech takes that ride with you. Had one sit down and ride with me and there wasn't a "paper" slip over the passenger seat. When I got half way home, I noticed oil smudges on the seat and floor mat. I lived through it, though.

Juan.