Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Legacy starting/clicking issues

Please Help me:

My 1993 Subaru Legacy has starting/clicking issues. I had starter replaced 3 times and also the battery. It will still just give a clicking sound interminterly when I try to start. Issues are both when the car engine is hot or cold.

No one seems to know why at the shop, all cables from battery to starter were cleaned.

Any feedback is appreciated, otherwise it is a great little car.

regards,

Bill Stan

Georgia :)

Manual or auto?

If manual - the only type I know a little about - clicking insures that it's not the clutch pedal defeat switch. When that switch is bad nothing happens when you try to start.

Next, it would be important to locate the source of the click.

Two possibilities in my opinion.

1) starter solenoïd. Then the click is louder when listening in the engine compartment with the hood raised.

2) Starter relay.Then the click is more faint and comes from under the dash.

Are there any other symptoms?

By the way, the five stars rating is not my responsibility. How did it get there BEFORE any answer was given ? :)

Manual or auto?

If manual - the only type I know a little about - clicking insures that it's not the clutch pedal defeat switch. When that switch is bad nothing happens when you try to start.

1) starter solenoïd. Then the click is louder when listening in the engine compartment with the hood raised.

Are there any other symptoms?

HEllo Gilles (Montreal):

It is an automatic,no other symtoms Gilles. I really thank you for your advice.

regards,

Bill Stan

Manual or auto?

Are there any other symptoms

Hello Gilles (Montreal):

What are the locations for the starter solenoid and starter relay? I want to share this with my mechanic. Any cost estimates on these parts? Are they readily available? I was wondering if I should buy and install myself or take to the shop that worked on the car?. I really thank you for your advice.

regards,

Bill Stan

The starter relay is under the dash left of the steering column I think... At least that's where I remember mine is (but it's a manual)

The starter solenoïd is part of the starter. It's a magnetic switch that closes the contacts that sends voltage and big amps to the starter motor.

A test you could make if the clicking seems to originate from the starter solenoïd: give a blow to the starter (dont break it :)) when this happens and if the starter spins then it's most probably the solenoïd.

Without knowin the details, I know the trans defeat system on an auto is a little more involved than on a manual.

Someon having worked on an auto could probably give you better advice here.

The starter relay is under the dash left of the steering column I think... At least that's where I remember mine is (but it's a manual)

The starter solenoïd is part of the starter. It's a magnetic switch that closes the contacts that sends voltage and big amps to the starter motor.

A test you could make if the clicking seems to originate from the starter solenoïd: give a blow to the starter (dont break it :)) when this happens and if the starter spins then it's most probably the solenoïd.

Without knowin the details, I know the trans defeat system on an auto is a little more involved than on a manual.

Someon having worked on an auto could probably give you better advice here.

Hello Everyone:

Thank you for your advice. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

regards,

Bill Stan

Atl, Georgia :)

Thanks Olnick, I sure skimmed over that part. This sure would pretty much eliminate the starter as the problem.

Bill:

Along with the other suggestions I would check main cable to the starter. There may be internal corrosion to the wire at the battery end causing the problem and you can't see it. To prove it, just measure the voltage at the starter end of the cable while the trouble is happening and the key is turned to the start position. If the starter isn't turning and the there is less than 12 volts at the end of the cable, then there is a problem with the cable. If the cable is ok then check for 12 volts getting to the small solenoid wire connection while trying to start.

A normal voltage reading at the end of the cable when the starter is working will be about 10 or 11 volts due to load on the battery and voltage drop on the cable itself.

Thanks Olnick, I sure skimmed over that part. This sure would pretty much eliminate the starter as the problem.

Bill:

Along with the other suggestions I would check main cable to the starter. There may be internal corrosion to the wire at the battery end causing the problem and you can't see it. To prove it, just measure the voltage at the starter end of the cable while the trouble is happening and the key is turned to the start position. If the starter isn't turning and the there is less than 12 volts at the end of the cable, then there is a problem with the cable. If the cable is ok then check for 12 volts getting to the small solenoid wire connection while trying to start.

A normal voltage reading at the end of the cable when the starter is working will be about 10 or 11 volts due to load on the battery and voltage drop on the cable itself.

Glen:

Thank you all for your help. You guys are great!!!

regards,

Bill

Georgia

:o:o:o