Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help sorting out timing cover gasket parts

I have a '97 Legacy Outback with 2.5L engine, manual transmission. I'm pulling the engine to change the timing belt, fix oil leaks (cam and crank seals), change clutch parts, etc. I'm having trouble identifiying the correct timing cover gaskets since there were three versions in '97. How do I find the date of manufacture (month and year) of my car/engine or some other identification number to help sort this out. Thanks,

I have a '97 Legacy Outback with 2.5L engine, manual transmission. I'm pulling the engine to change the timing belt, fix oil leaks (cam and crank seals), change clutch parts, etc. I'm having trouble identifiying the correct timing cover gaskets since there were three versions in '97. How do I find the date of manufacture (month and year) of my car/engine or some other identification number to help sort this out. Thanks,

Is it SOHC or DOHC ?

Dohc

I had this same question thrown at me when I attempted to order inner and outer rocker cover gaskets from 1stSubaruparts.com for my 99 Legacy GT. I was told there were 2 or 3 possibilites for valve cover gaskets, based on engine numbers. One of the guys in the parts dept there (Jason or Mike) asked me for the stamping numbers off of the back of the engine block at the top, where the bell housing bolts to the engine block. I was able to simply look down from the top at the back of the engine, gave them the numbers they needed, and I got the correct gaskets the first time....