Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket temp gauge sender placement

89 GL-10

What would be the ideal spot to put the sender for an aftermarket coolant temp gauge? I thought of drilling and tapping the water pipe close to where the CTS is. But I was worried about the cast aluminum thickness and if it would accept threads well. What do you think?

It's an electrical seder 1/4 NPT I think.

I replaced the sender for the dash guage with one and then thought about having the dash guage show me the temp in the pass head through the old coolant pipe outlet (I changed the routing for the turbo on mine to come from the drivers head (cooler) instead of the pass head (hotter). but haven't had a chance to get the right adapters to do it.

Hush

The origonal sensors on the engine are screwed directly into the aluminum, I don't see it couldn't be drilled and tapped to accept the fitting for the aftermarket guage. Just be careful where you drill the hole at. Also it is better to drill it off the car, where you can clean it up real good after. But you could also just coat the drill bit (and the tap after that) with a real good blob of grease, and that will pretty much hold all the shavings. Lotsa luck.