Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Full Time 4wd Brumby

hey i was woundering if it is possible to make a brumby into 4wd full time ive just about finished rebuilding my worked up ea82t and i was thinking is it possible to mate up a rx coupe 5 speed box and read dif to the ute to make it full time 4wd for that extra grip over here on the windy new zealand roads. i realise i will have to make new mounts and do some drive shaft modifications but thats not a problem some one mentioned to me that the axels are different and it wont work or somethink any help would be much apresiated. also i was woundering if any one on the board have lowered there brumbys as i was thinkin of doin this and widening the standard rims to accomidate 205/13/60 tyres. as i want to make it look standardish to give all those new subies a bit of a shock any pics of utes would be great cheers patt..

Hey pat

I am pretty sure that ppl have put the 5sp gearbox from an l series into a brumby so i dont see why you couldnt put the ft4wd box in

Yes the splines on the front dif are differnt but shouldnt be a problem

BTW

ausubaru.com is an aussie forum which mite be of use to you

Cheers

Gannon

Go for it Pat,

I have a full time, dual range RX box in my Brumby, you need different front CV inners on your shafts, a slight re position of the gear shifter lever.

Everything else is the same layout as a normal L series 5 speed.

It makes a hell of a difference, I would reccomend it highly.

You rule wet roads, dropping to low range on the fly suprises a few people too.

PM me if you need details,

Matt

I'm slowly getting started on installing a RX box in my EA81T wagon. The stub shafts coming out of the RX tranny are 25 spline while our EA81s have 23 splines on their trannys. One or two people have had custom axles made, but they were something like $100US to have made. My plan of action is to pull the 23 spline stubs from an 85-89 Leone and swap them with the 25 spline RX stubs. This should let us use the stock EA81 axles. Hope this helps some.