Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help To Settle An Argument About Wrx Beating A Bmw 750 I And Other Fast Cars In

Hi

My Dad Does Not Belive A Subaru Wrx Is Real Fast. He Says A Bmw 750 I Can Beat A Subaru Wrx In Speed. I Am A Subaru Fan And My Dad Is Not. And Want To Prove To Him That Subarus Are Powerful And Cool Cars. But I Need Some Help. Can A Wrx Beat A Bmw 750 I In Speed? And Wht Other Fast Car Can It Beat? My Dad Is A Chevy Fan And Thinks His Suburban Can Beat Subarus In 4w Driving So I Could Use Some Help On That One To. I Have A 1988 Gl I Love And My Dad Does'nt He Thinks Subarus Are Dangerous Because They Aren't Real Big. So Please Help Me Prove His Rumors Are Wrong.

My Dad Is A Chevy Fan And Thinks His Suburban Can Beat Subarus In 4w Driving

hahahahaha yeah right,let him follow you on a logging road and ralley the heck out of the car and he will never catch up. i have a uncle the same way,-thinks subarus are junk. i bet your soob could go in just as many places as his subruban. well i know mine can:lol:

acceleration and top end speed are two different things. top end speed looks good on paper but is never used when you're talking 150 + mph so who cares. acceleration can be used all the time. so which are you arguing about?

the wrx STi has 0-60 times of 4.9 seconds and the BMW you're talking about pulls a whopping 7.3....not even close. the BMW also does a 15.5 second 1/4 mile with a top speed of 96 mph (there are guys doing that here on this board in 4 cylinder turbo subaru's from the 80's!!!!). the wrx does a 13.2 1/4 mile at a top speed of 105. the wrx (non STi) has slightly slower times, but still beats the BMW - 0-60 of 5.4 seconds / 1/4 mile at 96 mph and 14.1 seconds.

as far as off-roading, what does he mean by 4wding? if slop is part of this 4 wheel drive discussion then he is right because STOCK soobs don't have the ground clearance to make it through sloppy stuff or rock crawling, depends what kind of offroading you're speaking about. but some soobs have locking center diffs, rear LSD's and can outperform a big heavy truck in certain situations.

safety is oppinion in, well my oppinion. i would rather have more control over size. cars are more agile and less likely to roll. i feel a good, observant and defensive driver who knows what they are doing can avoid more accidents than a large truck and are less likely to roll over in sudden reaction circumstances. i have steered violently and spun out to avoid an accident when a truck would have likely rolledover. i've also seen alot more trucks roll in situations a car never would have rolled. roll overs can kill, i don't like that feeling of not being in control. cars roll too, i know. but in certain situations and people with less experience i feel larger is better because it compensates for their lack of knowing their surroundings. i'm not a racer or claim to be a great driver, but attention to surroundings is my preferred method.

Just be careful with what you mean versus what you are saying. In top speed the BMW with 360hp might muscle it's way to a higher top speed and then technically your dad would be correct in saying A Bmw 750 I Can Beat A Subaru Wrx In Speed. Now, for acceleration and hadeling there is no competition. Put the two side by side on a road course and the by the end of the first turn the BMW (which is a huge car) would be left in the WRX's dust.

OH, and BTW just bring up the price tags for a good start, and then mention that the 300hp WRX STi is still cheaper by over half the price of the BMW and it will walk all over it it any test of peformance.

And if he's big into american muscle, Hot Rod did an article where they put stock for stock an '04 STi up against a '04 Mustang Cobra. They performed equally, and in some cases the STi out performed the Mustang. (oh, and the STi is still cheaper, and not once have we talked about comparing the cars on even a wet road. Then it's really on contest.)

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html

Keith

Is There Any Particular Reason You'Ve Been Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word?

Check The Back Of Road And Track And See What The 0-60 And 1/4 Mile Times Are. Also The Old 750i V12s Were The Worst Engines Ever Made By BMW.

A 7-series Beemer is going to be easy to beat for most fast, small cars. The BM is just to big, heavy, and intimidating to throw around corners.

The WRX handling is so forgiving that it would easy to stay within the limits and still leave the BM behind.

In snow, there is NO CONTEST. In a standing start the BMW would either spin it's rear wheels and get nowhere, or with the TSC on it would just crawl forward. The WRX would fly down the road.

WRX vs. BMW M3 - that's more tricky.

Most newer BIMMERS are meant to cruise at high speed. Getting there isn't so quick, but a BMW is a hell of a lot more stable at 120 than any Subaru will ever be. If he just wants to compare top speed then the BMW will take the cake, but last time I checked a 7er weighed about 4400 lbs and those 5.0 V12s weren't really all that powerfull.

your writing is the same way

That was me not being very nice.

There are BMWs faster than Subarus, and Subarus faster than BMWs. And, given the choice between an M3 SMG and STi as a track car, I'd probably take the M3.

According to the Car and Driver sitting in front of me, a new 750 (the V8, not the V12, which is now the 760) will do 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 mile in 13.9 at 103. That's faster than the WRX's 6.0s 0-60 and 14.6s at 94mph tested in the September sport compact comparo article.

That was me not being very nice.

There are BMWs faster than Subarus, and Subarus faster than BMWs. And, given the choice between an M3 SMG and STi as a track car, I'd probably take the M3.

According to the Car and Driver sitting in front of me, a new 750 (the V8, not the V12, which is now the 760) will do 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 mile in 13.9 at 103. That's faster than the WRX's 6.0s 0-60 and 14.6s at 94mph tested in the September sport compact comparo article.

The 750 (pre 2005) would be a V-12, the V-8 is the 740 (pre 2005), so I guess we need to know whether his dad is talking about the new models or the pre-2005 models.

You know this type of question will never be settled. I own a 92 Chevy full size Blazer that I 4wheel all the time. I take it when I go 4wheeling with the Hatch Patrol. There are someplaces, because of the wheel base, that the Subies have gone, that I wasn't able to go, but for the most part, I could go anywhere they did. I also own a 96 WRX STi Type R, which has more horsepower then a stock US model WRX and is very close to the performance of a US model STi, so I have an understand of that type of performance, I also once owned a 1981 Euro 735i, not quite a newer 7 series, but it should be similar in many ways. I wouldn't ever discount the BMW's agility, I was ever impressed with the handling of the 735i, I use to chase Porsche 911s with it all the time. The Porsche drivers couldn't figure out how such a large car could keep up with them. But trying to compare the Subaru WRX/STi with the BMW would be like comparing apples and oranges, yes they are both cars, but that is where the similarities end. Both were designed to accomplish different things, as were the Chevy Suburbans. Tell your dad that Subarus are real 4WD vehicles and probably do better in the snow then many larger 4WD vehicles.

There is another facter that hasn't been discussed here, and that is the driver. To correct for differences, the drivers need to drive both vehicles, then compare the performance of the cars by the dirvers, not against cars.