Ultimate Subaru Message Board

requesting ea81 ignition lock *removal* how to

Guest subu luvr

Guest subu luvr

saw one destroyed in the yard so i didnt get a chance to study it.

rather know how before i tinker with mine....

key is removed, lock is in the run position.

terrified it will lock the steering one day.

must fix.

also seeking replacement parts, cylinder/key or entire casting

merci !

I just ruined two to learn the right way, I tried to take the lock mech out of the unit but it fell apart in my hands.

Here's what I did, the third time.

:banghead: :-\ :eh: :confused::(:mad: :madder:

Remove the steering wheel, the insturment panel surround, the steering column cover, remove the combination switch, unhook the cables for the tilt wheel, remove 4 10mm bolts holding the lock unit to the column.

Reverse order for installation.

If you have the key out and you have a good key (not broken in the ignition), you could try working the very last pin (deepest) in the lock. This should be the retaining (keeper) pin and removing this will allow the lock to come out of the cylinder.

You should only need to move it around 1/16th to release it.

Remove the lock slowly so pieces don't go shooting off in the distance. Even if this happens, it's not the end of the world. Insert your key in the lock once it's out to keep everything together.

Once out you can use a screwdriver to turn off the ignition. With the ignition off you should be able to insert your key and carefully reinstall it in the cylinder.

While its out you could look to see which pin/disk is scratched and hanging up the lock. This pin/disk can be removed along with the spring and it won't make any difference in your lock!

Picks would help, but an allen wrench filed will work just fine.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming......:temper:

01 Forester, jealous.......... :madder:

Guest subu luvr

oh, great.

a teaser, eh? yours works, so mine *should* also :P

i will entertain no such hope here, what are the chances?

lol

all negativity is for research purposes only and should be

deleted within 24 hours

• 15 years later...

Very helpful information as there is not much I have found covering this issue of pulling the lock cylinder, a prospect necessary for me to somehow accomplish as some POS broke into my car and while stealing the stereo and multiple other items, apparently finished off the lock cylinder because it is seized now. I need to unlock the steering and remove it from the street. The wheels are locked at about 30º towards the curb. Thank you, beamsbox, for showing me this post.

Edited by lrgvanman