Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this factory keyless entry and alarm, or aftermarket?

If it's aftermarket try to find out the brand and look into what options you have for reprogramming the remotes. I believe most newer car alarms use rolling codes that would only allow a transmitter with the correct code sequence to do anything. Not exactly sure how that all works, but if it's listening to anything that talks you may just have a bad alarm brain that needs replacing.

Keith

Is this factory keyless entry and alarm, or aftermarket?

If it's aftermarket try to find out the brand and look into what options you have for reprogramming the remotes. I believe most newer car alarms use rolling codes that would only allow a transmitter with the correct code sequence to do anything. Not exactly sure how that all works, but if it's listening to anything that talks you may just have a bad alarm brain that needs replacing.

Keith

Keith, it's a Subaru factory installed and now I'm embarrassed if it thinks like a GM product ;-)

g

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 98 Legacy Outback 30 Year Anniversary Edition and have this same EXACT problem!!

There is a person at my work who recently purchased a new truck. Whenever he locked his doors, my alarm went off!! At first, he thought someone was playing a joke on him. After a week, he finally realized the coincidence and confronted me with the issue. I since had to start parking on the other side of the building.

Over time, my car seems to have become increasingly sensitive to other peoples remotes at the shopping mall and restaurants. It's almost to the point where I'm afraid to activate the alarm because someone will trigger the alarm with their remote.

I have very interested if others have this same issue and what fix might be. The local subaru shop wanted to charge me $100 worth of diagnostic time to find out what the problem might be. Then again, they charged me $100 to read an OBD code.

• 3 months later...
That's a great line, Smith!!!

Has anyone learned the answer to the mysterious activation of the '98 Subaru Outback security alarm? We have documented various neighbors who use their remotes setting off our Outback's alarm. I have "reprogrammed" the Code Alarm remote, hoping that will solve the problem......but we just dont know, any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I found a solution to my problem!

Over the last 8 years that I owned my 1998 Subaru Outback Limited Edition Wagon, a particular one of my keyless entry remotes failed three times. Up until the last year, I had the luxury of taking my Subaru back to the dealership where I purchased it and they would re-program the remote for free.

This last year, I since moved and had to take my Subaru to a new dealership where they like to charge for this kind of service, so I lived using only one of my keyless entry remotes. This turns out to be the problem. It appears that the alarm electronic control unit needs to have two keyless entry remotes programmed to it. If you leave it with only one single keyless remote programmed to it, it becomes sensitive to all other worldly remotes.

Solution to problem:

Re-Program BOTH keyless entry remotes to your Subaru! I have a Code Alarm System and it appears to be sensitive to other peoples remotes if you have only a single keyless entry remote programmed to it.