Ultimate Subaru Message Board

long time owner first time writer

I have an 83 gl wgn that I bought new. 205k thank you. I would like to know if an engine and trans from an 85 wgn will bolt in. Or what years will fit my 83. I'm very interested in keeping this car as it has been very good to me. thanks for your help

keep them running down the road.

Mike

Hi there and welcome to the board.

Your 83 wagon has an EA-81 engine. It is a 1.8L OHV engine. The 85, on the other hand, has an EA-82 engine. It is a 1.8L OHC engine. As such, it is SIGNIFICANTLY wider than your current engine. You may have to do some sqeezing, but it should bolt up without a problem. Then the question arises: Is your 85 injected or carbed? Obvoiusly, injection entails a lot more parts swapping than another carbed engine.

For the most direct fit, find a wagon built between 81 and 84, a hatchback built between 81 and 88(I think?) or a Brat built between 82 and 88.

What part of Sumner/Bonney Lake are you in?

The direct applications would be 80-84 wagon, sedan and coupes. 81-89 hatchbacks and 82-87 Brats. Many people have swapped in other engines but you are talking major modifications. Just depends on what you want to end up with.

85 wagon motor will work. use the carb and intake from the 85 with its motor. connect anything theat will match such as electrical connections

use the flywheel from the ea81, drill out the holes for an ea82 flywheel bolts

if the 83 was FWD 5sd and the 85 was fwd 5spd the clutches would fot the same, use the ea82 flywheel

in any other case you will scribe the timing belt marks to the ea81 flywheel.

the bolts are m10 x 1.0 thread

the motor will fit just right. i recommend removint the inner and outer timing belt covers for future service

remove the disty before installation to clear the master cylinder

the hill holder will have to be re-located(bend the lines)

• 5 months later...

The direct applications would be 80-84 wagon, sedan and coupes. 81-89 hatchbacks and 82-87 Brats. Many people have swapped in other engines but you are talking major modifications. Just depends on what you want to end up with.

I live in the valley. Right of hwy just the Puyallup river.

Sorry for not writting sooner. but I live right off the hiway, just past the Puyallup river.

I have an 83 gl wgn that I bought new. 205k thank you. I would like to know if an engine and trans from an 85 wgn will bolt in. Or what years will fit my 83. I'm very interested in keeping this car as it has been very good to me. thanks for your help

Mike

I have decided to keep the car engine in there. I do have a tech. question...

Is it normal for the engine to lose oil pressure when going up a hill.

If I let up on the gas, the press wants to climb, or so it is indicated.

Is it time to change the oil pump,and or is it time to change other things also while I'm at it.

Hope you all are doing good with your other Subs.....

Shades are on with all of this rain in the NW. Thanks

Mike

I would like to find an EA-81 engine for my 83 subaru GL.

Do you have one that I can buy?

thanks