Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Duallies!

mcbrat

I'll add a pic....

56K warning!!!

http://www.rhinobuggies.com.au/images/stalkerdualy.jpg

http://www.rhinobuggies.com.au/images/stalkerdualy1.jpg

For those of you who don't wanna pull it up,

It's RhinoBuggy with Dual Wheels. I believe they are probably 15".

The Buggy is a RhinoBuggy Stalker. 100% Subie at heart.

While I'm at it...

I'm not sure Duallies are really a solution to anything.

I'd think they would cause more problems than they'd solve.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

on full-size trucks...yes, more weight...on an ORV...more surface area...idea being, floating over the mud, instead of sinking into it. Skinny tires are great for getting through the crap down to the solid base, but if the whole is deep enough, you'll get high-centered before you reach bottom.

well the average subi is what... 2500lbs.. ish

so on 4 wheels you get 625lbs each...

with 8 you'd get 312.5lbs each... that is if it's evenly distributed.. which it isn't... but still! not to shabby!

i want a set fo rall 4 corners :grin:

Woul'nt this type of dually be hard on the bearings?:confused:,,,, considering that Highway duallys are usally balanced and mounted where the two halves meet. however with this set-up the mounting point stays the same and more leverage is given to the outside wheel to pry against the bearing. Am I right or do i have the wrong understanding?:confused:

Yes, it would eat the bearings in a hurry. Cool idea, tho. I remember seeing sombody put duals on a ea81 wagon just so they could run though a mud bog at one of those truck mud bog events. From what the article said, he did very well. Didn't get all the way through, but he got a long waze in! Now, if I could only remember which magazine it was I read that in........hummmmm...it was either 4wheeler or peterson's 4wheel&off-road.

http://www.dual-concepts.com/gallery/

Notice the very light ATV is sunk into the mud in several pictures...not floating on top if it. Dualies are for agricultrual implement or towing; not offroading.

well, maybe 'floating' isn't the right term, but it won't sink as far as without them. I know it would've gotten my buddies ATV much farther a few times out in the swamp

yep, this would be horrible for the car, the leverage would be very hard on wheel bearings, and probably tie rod ends, and ball joints too.

http://www.dual-concepts.com/gallery/

Notice the very light ATV is sunk into the mud in several pictures...not floating on top if it. Dualies are for agricultrual implement or towing; not offroading.

It looks as though if you had front duals then you'd be doing more "plowing" through mud than just floating over it. I think that you would lose a lot of momentum trying to get through that messy stuff. For mud, I'd skip the duals in the front.

i have a set on my brat... just got them yesterday... really easy install... look pretty mean too...

NAH... i'm messing with you... i wouldn't buy those... maybe some people in greenland would enjoy those... they need super wide tires don't they???

that one picture i looked at had duallies but i've seen plenty of truck tires that are as wide as the two of those skinny things.

and why the hell is everyone suggesting only stopping at two wheels on each axle? how about 3 or an extra set of axles...let get serious now and quit BSing. Tracks, now you're talking.

• 4 weeks later...
It looks as though if you had front duals then you'd be doing more "plowing" through mud than just floating over it. I think that you would lose a lot of momentum trying to get through that messy stuff. For mud, I'd skip the duals in the front.

if you had duallys on front you would glide over top if you had none on front you would do a nose dive youd think.