Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throttle Cable Q

I am replacing the throttle cable in the Brat and I am wondering how you get the clip out where the cable goes through the firewall. I broke the one in the Brat, and I don't REALLY want to break the one in the wagon I'm taking it from, but I might end up doing it anyway. How do you get it out? Thanks.

The attachment point at the firewall is a square-shape with two of the sides being the retainer part of it. Somewhat of a pain to get to if you're my size, but you get to there from the inside of the car. Follow cable from pedal up to firewall, you'll feel it better than you'll see it. Squeeze the tabs towards each other and push it thru to the engine side. Tabs may be on the left/right, or top/bottom, just depends on who put it in, factory or Joe Blow down the street.

ok yeah I felt that little square guy and was actually gonna try to pull it through into the cab, but will try to get it the other way. That thing IS a pain, I can't seem to get 2 fingers on it good, but will try again. thanks for the help.

I am replacing the throttle cable in the Brat and I am wondering how you get the clip out where the cable goes through the firewall. I broke the one in the Brat, and I don't REALLY want to break the one in the wagon I'm taking it from, but I might end up doing it anyway. How do you get it out? Thanks.

Oh man I did this a few months ago and it was a PAIN! It was near impossible to get the correct angle for the needlenose pliers to grip, and when I did they would lose grip before I could push the clip out. I ended up pushing one side of the clip in enough with a screwdriver so that the one side came out the hole, then I just kept yanking on the cable from the outside until the other tab broke off and the clip went through.

To make matters worse the clip on the new throttle cable I put in was a little bit too big to be pressed into the square hole in the firewall, so I had to shave it down with a razor blade until it fit right. I was concerned that the cable might be the wrong length but it ended up being just perfect.

Now if I can only find a good used weber carb and some jump seats!

- Harv

Oh man I did this a few months ago and it was a PAIN! It was near impossible to get the correct angle for the needlenose pliers to grip, and when I did they would lose grip before I could push the clip out. I ended up pushing one side of the clip in enough with a screwdriver so that the one side came out the hole, then I just kept yanking on the cable from the outside until the other tab broke off and the clip went through.

To make matters worse the clip on the new throttle cable I put in was a little bit too big to be pressed into the square hole in the firewall, so I had to shave it down with a razor blade until it fit right. I was concerned that the cable might be the wrong length but it ended up being just perfect.

Now if I can only find a good used weber carb and some jump seats!

- Harv

I hear ya, I tried for half an hour to get it out and then got frustrated, grabbed the biggest screwdriver I had and a hammer and hit it out. I was TRYING to destroy the thing, but it ended up just poppin out. I got it installed great after that, though I DID find that its easier to install the cable to the pedal before getting in onto the carb.:) Thanks for the help.