Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 A/C compressor to VW bus Underdash A/C

LostWater

For my VW Westy/EA-81 transplant, I have bought a complete van with underdash A/C. i bought it for the A/C of course.

My question is, has anyone ever done A/C work where they adapted the EA-81 AC compressor to another application? Or even cut and ran new hoses, or assembled an installed an AC system in a car that didnt have it originally?

I also plan on retrofitting a back seat Vanagon heater to make it work with the EA-81 so I can actually have usable heat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

When I was working on mine I found that Toyota 4 runners have a heater under the center console thats much simpler and probably puts out more heat, a good rear heater replacement IMO. The switch is certainly much simpler and the hoses are the right size.

People use the Subaru ej22 compressors all the time and have custom hoses made by hose shops. I dont see why the ea81 would be any different.

I am hoping that rear heat will warm the whole van. What do you think? There will be no need for factory VW heat as it was not that good in the first place. Do people figure out how to install heat to teh front?

Would someone have to pull the wiring, switch and everything to make the 4-runner heater work? The vanagon heater is all self contained, it has the blower and heater core all in one and blows right out of a grill on the front of it. Is the 4-runner the same?

Thanks for the help, Shawn,

Mark

On the A/c problem, did the origonal VW A/c have the compressor mounted on the motor?? (Don't work on veedubs much, sorry) If it does, and still has the hoses, you can retrofit them to the Subie pump. Just get the Soob hose ends that connect to the pump. Then taking a cut off wheel (dremel works good), cut the crimped bands off the A/c hose end, then with a razor cut away the last inch or so of hose, you will be left with a barbed hose end. You can then push this into the existing hose (after you cut off the veedub ends) and then use TWO hose clamps and secure the ends to the hoses. Have done this on several occasions. Then if all the other stuff is good (condenser, evaporator, reciever/dryer, pressure switches, wireing) you should be able to hook up the stock A/c wires to the pump, charge the system, and chill baby! :cool: