Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer install Cruise failure Q's

OK - my dealer installed cruise contol system on my subaru (the one in my signature) failed, immobilizing my car!!! (the wire from the negative side of my coil shorted to groundvia faulty control unit, resulting in NO SPARK!!) this happened at rush hour at a busy intersection - IE BAD TIMING!! - has ANYONE had their dealer install cruise system control module fail like this??? I realize also that it was designed in the "early years" of cruise control, and that I should expect stuff like this - IE bugs. If this seems to be an isolated incident with the system, I will repair it (replace the control module). I will say I/my family got over 20 years of service out of it - so they can't be that buggy (I think/hope!).

This is also an FYI, that if you DO encounter a no spark condition, and have found nothing wrong, disconnect the yellow wire with the half-circle connector from the ignition coil, and see if that solves your problem.

i don't think i can really help you but, when i bought my car the cruise control didn'work cause the switch thing came apart. i was just wondering what your cruise control looked like. mine is a black with a green sticker that you pull to turn it on, then you push the set button. this is on my 86 hatch.

my cruise uses a single knob on the turn signal assy, rotate forward to turn on/accelerate, push button to set/coast, pull back to turn off - I think EA81's had a different cruise system than EA82's (even dealer add-on) I have examined the switch on my car, and it is obviously not the cause of the cruise control computer's failure - I disconnected the actuator just in case the computer shorts out and tries to cause a major problem