Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cutting board skid plate

JHH

In Four Wheeler magazine they have a project Lexus that they used a custom cut piece of cutting board material. They explained that it was light, mildly flexable and worked better that metal since it let the rocks and other obsticles slide against it with little resistance. In the next months issue in one of the letters to the magazine they said that they were able to get a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet from a cabinet wholesale place for about $170.

Has anyone heard of this or even tried it?

Go look under a 2000 (or somewhere in that era) GMC/Cheverolet S-10 or Jimmy ZR2 and you will see that instead of using metal they used some sort of composite material to make their skidplate. A friend of mine had one and he ran the Sh*t out of it and it was durable as it gets. I would take a piece of plastic any day over steel for a skid plate. Steel bends and gets all sorts of destroyed (depending how thick it is) it doesn't have memory like most composites that can go back to there original shape. Sign me up for some synthetic skidplates :brow:

I donno. It's one thing for knives to push against it, but 3000+lbs of truck sitting on one point of a rock? I'll hafta see this in action.

Years ago I was commercially diving and we ran sections of cutting boards instead of rollers on our boat trailer.

We slammed 1500 Kilograms of boat and 1200-1400 Kilograms of sea urchins into these day after day after day.

Still servicable when we sold the boat after 4 1/2 years.

Thats gotta be 6000 lbs and with a sharpish edge hitting it too.

I would say if they were well secured, these would work well.

Use the thick ones though (3/4").

i would like to see the hard polyplastic cutting board material used in this application, light, easily replaced, but possibly not as resistent to heat as steel. although in the end steel is probably cheaper and fairly easy to weld, bend.

~Josh~

In Four Wheeler magazine they have a project Lexus that they used a custom cut piece of cutting board material. They explained that it was light, mildly flexable and worked better that metal since it let the rocks and other obsticles slide against it with little resistance. In the next months issue in one of the letters to the magazine they said that they were able to get a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet from a cabinet wholesale place for about $170.

Has anyone heard of this or even tried it?

HDPE, High Density Polyethylene.

4'x8'x1/2" sheet $117

www.mcmaster.com

:D

HDPE, High Density Polyethylene.

4'x8'x1/2" sheet $117

www.mcmaster.com

:D

The Competition Rock Crawlers are using this technology.

I helped install it on this buggy.

http://www.uroc.com/new/teampages.php?series=EXTREMEW

Supermodified #10 (Whit)--the link won't take you all the way there.

I think your going to see more and more of this type of armor in the future.

actually. the cutting boards are made from UHMV (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene)

Alot of rally cars use this under the floor boards of the cars to keep the pain from scraping right off and so on.

some also use kevlar....which works even better.

you will see ALOT more kevlar underbody protection used in the future

E7%20sump%20LF.JPG

E7%20underbody1.JPG