Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off Roading with the '99+ models?

derekho55

Hi..

I was wondering what 1999+ and up model would be most suitable for off roading? Or would all of them be suitable depending on the level of modification?

If this is the case, what 1999+ model would be able to do off roading with the LEAST amount of mods?

And can you guys please specify any of the important modifications needed? Any recommended brands?

Thx a whole lot - as you can see, I'm totally new to the world of off-roading

Well I guess you'd want a Forester or an Outback as they come with a slighty higher suspension package than the other models... though I'm not sure how they compare to the Baja... As far as lifting it goes.. I don't know how makes them.. but there is people lifting 'em. Im sure someone here has some info on it. Good luck and welcome.

Well I guess you'd want a Forester or an Outback as they come with a slighty higher suspension package than the other models.

i'd agree,but i'd go with a outback sedan.higher clearance then other models plus shorter wheelbase(correct?)

You've got to mess with the gears other wise you won't go too far off the trail.

So far the old ones are the only ones that have any real potential.

Given time, I'd think the new ones will develop the modifications

that will eventually lead to some real off-roading capacity.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

XX XXXXXXX to be announced.

Depending on the Base car you want to start with...?

get an Outback, Forester , Or what ever.....If you can find one with a dead 5 speed in it, dump that for a Custom Hi-Lo 5 speed....

Then Your Newer Ride is ready to keep up with any older ride....

Pm Me, I'll tell you all about the Custom Hi-Lo set Up I do for the New generation cars.....:)

Later, John

Hey Derekho55,

where you at in BC??? after you get your ride we should take it on a little trial experiment before you mod it up...:brow:

would deffinatly say go with mudrat79's stuff... he knows his stuff...:D

as for the choice of vihicle... i wolud go with a forester... just because they are a foot shorter then the outback/legacy...

I asked myself this question too before I purchased my forester. forester has the same ground clearance as an outback but it has shorter wheelbase and better approach and departure angles. You can also get 2" suspesion and 2" body lift kits for them. I have a ea-82 dual-range tranny swaped in mine for better off-road gearing.