Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATTn Skip (OR ANYONE, I NEED HELP)

Can you post those pics of the EA82 flywheels up for me again (Before and after) I must be crazy cause I opened the hood of my 87 4wd turbo sedan (Auto) and what I pulled out looks more like a torque converter than a flywheel. Or both, welded together. I want to be 100% sure before I get this thing shaved down. Supposed to meet my brother tomorrow to swap some parts etc. and this is one thing that will be going his way. It was the last thing I can pull from the tranny without ripping it down. It has splines on the inside. (I must sound really dumb here but I want to be sure because the last flywheel that I have seen was yrs ago and it was somewhat flat, not round, and if I remember correctly, it bolted on with like 5 bolts) Am I crazy? Need some pics asap please, Thanks man, I appreciate it. (Or anyone else that has pics from the side) Boz

OK, I found the old thread with the pics and mine looks NOTHING like what is there.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3482

I am lost. I have pics of what I have from front, back, and profile and it is definately different. Anyone want to host a few pics for me in a hurry. I will send them to you via email. Thanks, Boz

Boz: WHOA! hold up there, feller!

Automatics DO NOT have a flywheel. What you got there is indeed a torque converter. You won't be able to lighten is appreciably. That there is one of the reasons auto's are so sluggish on a small engine. Torque convertors are full of ATF from the transmission, as well. I you want to go big, get a 5 speed donor car and swap all the goodies over, doing your flywheel in the process.

Once again: no flywheel on automatic trans cars!

(sorry bud)

OK, I must be retarded! I could have swore that all cars have flywheels, autos with torque converters and manuals with clutch/pressure plates. I guess I am just dumb, I don't get the chance to mess with this stuff like I used to. It's been many years. I am kinda looking for a 5 spd that will fit in here. Can I use one from a wagon? If so, what one (Yrs, models? etc...) I hate auto's. Anyone have the stuff for a 5 spd swap for sale or trade? Boz

Well, When I do a 5 spd swap, I want to be sure to purchase the correct tranny Gotta be 5 spd and 4wd and from a turbo. I guess a wagon is my donor but I don't know if the pushbutton will work. I think the one I have now is pushbutton, But I can't say for sure, Haven't actually been in the car in ages. If it is, then it shouldn't be a problem (I don't think)

if you get a 5 spd from a turbo, you will need new axles(autos, even turbo autos use the N/A spline count).. if you get one from a non turbo, you will need a new rear diff.. just a tip

Also, the pushbutton fot the 4wd on the auto and the 5 spd don't hook up the same way