Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting a 92 loyale

Rebello240zx

ok I've got a few questions concerned with lifting my loyale wagon.

1. I have seen the diy lifts that people are doing and from what it sounds like i should just buy the byb ozified kit. I could do it myself, but i don't know about the steering or how the struts are spaced. i assume the spacers go on top of the rubber hat and the struts require longer bolts but im not exactly sure how to do this. pound them out i assume. how is the steering spaced?

(Im a datsun guy i have no clue about lifting, you might have noticed)

2. i don't want to trim any body panels if i dont have to. tire size is up in the air whatever fits with a 4 inch lift and no body trimming. but what size im not sure any help is great in this area. i plan on doing the 6 lug conversion 15" i believe.

3. this is my primary transportation, is it wise for me to do these mods to it for the possible offroad weekend journey?

4. has anyone stripped a hub out before? i did it after i jumped the wagon a few too many times... just curious.

any help ideas info etc. is greatly appreciated.

1) Just buy a lift. Ozified BYB, AA, SJR, or Mudrat.

2) I wouldn't know, I cut my fenders and pounded a lot of unibody out of the way.

3) Most daily drivers on here went with 26" to 28".

4) QUIT JUMPING YOUR DAMN SUBARU. IT'S YOUR DIALY DRIVER NOT YOUR BAJA 1000 TROPHY TRUCK. Weekend camping trips with light trail rides will be nothing compared to the stress of jumping it! :-p

ok I've got a few questions concerned with lifting my loyale wagon.

1. I have seen the diy lifts that people are doing and from what it sounds like i should just buy the byb ozified kit. I could do it myself, but i don't know about the steering or how the struts are spaced. i assume the spacers go on top of the rubber hat and the struts require longer bolts but im not exactly sure how to do this. pound them out i assume. how is the steering spaced?

(Im a datsun guy i have no clue about lifting, you might have noticed)

2. i don't want to trim any body panels if i dont have to. tire size is up in the air whatever fits with a 4 inch lift and no body trimming. but what size im not sure any help is great in this area. i plan on doing the 6 lug conversion 15" i believe.

3. this is my primary transportation, is it wise for me to do these mods to it for the possible offroad weekend journey?

4. has anyone stripped a hub out before? i did it after i jumped the wagon a few too many times... just curious.

any help ideas info etc. is greatly appreciated.

My 27" tires work fine on my 3"/3" Ozified lift. Everything you will need is in the kit, including all bolts and an extended steering u-joint. I found the instructions mostly good but a little unclear in places, but figured it out, with advice from the builder. My kit had all square blocks. I had to file down a corner on a couple of them to make them fit; the builder apologized for that and changed the kit accordingly.

1 - Oh yeah, BYB is a good kit where the construction is concerned but they fail to tell you that you need to modify your center console, they fail to supply you with a skidplate spacer... but, if you break a block, he will replace them free of charge (atleast he did for me)

3 - if your going on the highway, it kinda sucks.. most people dont use 5th gear anymore.. noone ever mentioned that when i asked about lifting.. so expect that.. gear loss is pretty bad too..

4 - all the time, with the bigger tires, i tear up CV's and hubs like none other, but, I abuse the hell out of my rig. If you just drive it on the pavement you'll be fine.

One more thing, you have a loyale, its has a single range 4wd... your going to want to get rid of that if you intend on wheeling.

But it is included in the BYB kit, contrary to TURBOSPFi's statements.

4" lift will fit probably 2 7-28" tires without trimming. my 30" tires required some good sledgehammering to the unibody to get them to fit. Kit instalation is simple, just FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS PERFECTLY. I didn't, and ended up causing myself no end of hassle and agrivation.

And ditto on ditching the pushbutton 4wd in favor of a dual range. I am as soon as I get my rig to pass inspection.