Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any harm in hard wiring your A/C Compressor to a switch?

Guest SubaruJunkie

Guest SubaruJunkie

My A/C compressor was not kicking on when i would turn on the A/C. I gave the compressor some juice straight from the battery, and it came to life. So i wired up a switch to it, so i can control it from in the dash.

Will this cause any damage if I use it like this? The sightglass for the A/C showed some real cream looking fluid being cycled through when the A/C is on. Not sure if that means its low, out of has bad freon in the system.

-Brian

Guest wjmgl10

I'd charge it up, then see if the system kicks it in.

I've got mine hardwired. Just make sure not to leave it on ALL THE TIME, after it blows really cold air, the core will ice over, and no air flow, so you will have to manually turn it on and off to prevent freeze over....

Guest SubaruJunkie

Right now its really not blowing anything. I'll get a recharge kit tomorrow and charge it up with some R134a. Anyone have any tips for that conversion?

-Brian

Guest Adam N.D.J.

You need to get the old freon evac'd from the system. The two don't play well together. There are some other things that you need to change out. It's different from car to car, I've never done a soob, so can't say. But most cars you have to change out the accumulator at least, and some of the seals. I still don't like the idea of bypassing the system. Cause if there is a problem in the system, and you have the high pressure switch bypassed, then it's possible that the system can blow up. Jes my insight. Catch ya Laters.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Hrm.... I dont want my brat to blow up. I will have it off most the time... but when its 100+ outside, even the T-tops dont help. I need my A/C

-Brian

Guest McBrat

I wired mine up seperately earlier this year, and have since had the clutch go out on it.... but I don't think it was ever right after hitting the deer...