Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

About two months ago my 96 Legacy was slow to start - eventually it turned over but it took a few tries. Bought new battery, seemed to help but lately when I turn the key over I get nothing (no clicks, no turning over) but get full (I think) juice (all dashboards lights are bright, headlamps come on...). After 5-7 repeated attempts at turning the key over, the engine will suddenly turn over and the car starts right away. This problem is usually worse in the morning. After driving the car for a few miles, it seems like it starts right away after turning it off, even if it sits for a few hours.

Anyone know what the likely problem is? Or can you steer me towards any past helpful discussions?

By the way, I assume it's somewhat common (I recall a similar problem in my old '86 Suby wagon years ago).

Thanks so much,

Serac

1996 Subaru Legacy LS

170,000 miles, automatic

Contacts in the starter are getting bad. Moisture makes the problem surface in the AM. New starter or have the contacts in the solenoid replaced by any starter shop. If you want a good used starter to put in, send me $20 to cover the shipping and I'll send one out.

Larry

Hi,

About two months ago my 96 Legacy was slow to start - eventually it turned over but it took a few tries. Bought new battery, seemed to help but lately when I turn the key over I get nothing (no clicks, no turning over) but get full (I think) juice (all dashboards lights are bright, headlamps come on...). After 5-7 repeated attempts at turning the key over, the engine will suddenly turn over and the car starts right away. This problem is usually worse in the morning. After driving the car for a few miles, it seems like it starts right away after turning it off, even if it sits for a few hours.

Anyone know what the likely problem is? Or can you steer me towards any past helpful discussions?

By the way, I assume it's somewhat common (I recall a similar problem in my old '86 Suby wagon years ago).

Thanks so much,

Serac

1996 Subaru Legacy LS

170,000 miles, automatic

Assuming the car is an automatic, you have tried to start it in "N", right? If the starter does crank the engine with the shifter in "N" then the shifter "position" switch may be out of adjustment. Judging from your description, though, it sounds like the starter (or the starter solenoid) is failing. When the engine fails to crank over, find something you can strike the starter with (like the handle end of a large screwdriver. Will it crank after striking the starter? BTW--starter is located at rear of engine and is visable by looking down from the top---follow the positive battery cable back to the starter.

Before you lay out some bills for a new starter, i would replace the solenoid, first, and see how it works.

And before you lay out any bills for a solenoid, try replacing the copper contacts in the solenoid--couple of bucks at an auto-electric shop or from Subaru parts.

Also suggest search here on the forum under "starter"--been several write-ups over the past year.

Good luck.

I also agree that the solenoid contacts may need to be replaced. The problem may also be with the inhibit switch, as was mentioned. To see if the solenoid contacts are at fault you can check the voltage on the small wire going to the solenoid coil. If you have voltage there when you try to start it and the starter doesn't work then the solenoid contacts are at fault probably. If there is no voltage there, then the inhibit switch needs to be checked.