Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'66 awd VW

keltikrewser

BTW, my (someday) project will use a Turbo Legacy drivetrain tucked under my '57 Oval.

I don't want to be rude or anything, but have you considered doing this modification to something besides an oval?? They are getting harder and harder to come by... unless yours is completely rusty and dented up or something, the thought of cutting and welding this timeless classic up makes the hair on the back of my neck raise...

but that's just my opinion.

I just think you could have the same effect by using the original poster's '66 or even a post 67 bug.

Again, all just opinions, and I don't want to step on any toes here. We all have our preferences, but I would love to have an original oval window bug but alas I cannot afford one right now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to do the front engine option another idea i had would mount the transmision in the rear with a torque tube like the corvette. and, useing a chain or gear drive route the rear output to the front. just a thought. then you would have a rear biased AWD as well. though this would rquire some trick fabrication.

• 6 months later...

been a while. got a new game plan. over the summer while working on the new house i managed to pick up a '73 Super Beetle for $100. need less to say it needs a little work, floor, heater channels, you know the stuff that holds the car together :rolleyes: but it was worth it to keep it from the crusher.

any how to my point, while going over my newest VW to see how bad it was i did some messuring and i think i found the perfect spot to stick a suby motor. you see the super's claim to fame was all that trunk space between the new struts in the front :brow: plenty of width between th struts, and i think i'll only need to sweep the axels forward about an inch or so, it definatly looks like a better home than the front of my '66, (which i think is getting a 2.7 stuck on the back, that'll be a diff. thread)

just thought i'd drop an update now that i'll be able to look at my cars again. this project is going to take a back seat for a little while until i get my '66 going.

later

ryan

been a while. got a new game plan. over the summer while working on the new house i managed to pick up a '73 Super Beetle for $100. need less to say it needs a little work, floor, heater channels, you know the stuff that holds the car together :rolleyes: but it was worth it to keep it from the crusher.

any how to my point, while going over my newest VW to see how bad it was i did some messuring and i think i found the perfect spot to stick a suby motor. you see the super's claim to fame was all that trunk space between the new struts in the front :brow: plenty of width between th struts, and i think i'll only need to sweep the axels forward about an inch or so, it definatly looks like a better home than the front of my '66, (which i think is getting a 2.7 stuck on the back, that'll be a diff. thread)

just thought i'd drop an update now that i'll be able to look at my cars again. this project is going to take a back seat for a little while until i get my '66 going.

later

ryan

\\\

Why not stick it in the back like all the Vanagons do?

nipper

the plan is for a full awd subaru drivetrain,

When I retire in Hawaii, I want something like a Thing body on a Subbie D/R 4WD drivetrain. 'Cept that the thing is that Thingss rust like crazy in salt air, anf ther's nothing you an do about it, so I need a fiberglas Thing body, or something like a Thing, thingie.

Anyone know anything about a fake Thing thing. :brow:

When I retire in Hawaii, I want something like a Thing body on a Subbie D/R 4WD drivetrain. 'Cept that the thing is that Thingss rust like crazy in salt air, anf ther's nothing you an do about it, so I need a fiberglas Thing body, or something like a Thing, thingie.

Anyone know anything about a fake Thing thing. :brow:

a VW Thingee has mosty straight flat surfaces, if it was me I would take a rust free soobie chop off all the sheet metal that doesnt look like a thing, weld up some straight square tubing in the shape of a thing and put a skin on it pretty simple lines on that thing keep us posted SJR

a VW Thingee has mosty straight flat surfaces, if it was me I would take a rust free soobie chop off all the sheet metal that doesnt look like a thing, weld up some straight square tubing in the shape of a thing and put a skin on it pretty simple lines on that thing keep us posted SJR

FIberglas, need fiberglas ...'specially if we relocate to Molokai, on that island it's impossible to get more than seven miles from the ocean, and THAT's off-road! Every road on the island except the one to the airport is within 100 yds of the sea.

OOOps, now you know why I want to retire there.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...