Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things to bring on the trail

Jerry DeMoss

Here's a quick list of some stuff I thought would be good to bring when offroading on a long backwoods trip:

Tools:

Duct tape,wire,vise grips,breaker bar& large pipe,pliers,dikes,flat head and philips screw driver,JB weld(very handy),different end wrenches and sockets(8,10,12,14,19&36mm(axle nut)(most common ones I use)and ,knife ect.

Other Stuff:

Some canned food that you can heat on your engine,msr camp stove,small pan,water,fork and spoon,can opener,flashlight,spare headlight bulb,oil,spare belt,antifreeze,tent and sleeping bag(unless you sleep in the car)good car jack, tire plugs,some type of air compressor,cooler for beer,and don't forget the papers for shattin'(its no fun without)

Well I guess that is the basics. I would love to hear other ideas! :drunk:

I travel heavy to the main camp site and unlaod to run light on the trail.

• Full tool set
  • First Aid Kit
  • Fire Extinguisher (ABC rated, you can hve all 3 types of fires in a vehicle)
  • Coveralls
  • Boots
  • Gloves + hat
  • CB radio
  • two screw type clevis
  • High Lift jack (strapped to roof rack)
  • Spare Parts: timing belts, accesories belt, radiator hoses, misc hightemp/pressure hoses, alternator, throttle body (has fuel injector, TPS, IAC all on it so just a swap of the TB and im golden) mass air flow sensor, timing belt pullies, timing belt ideler gear, misc gaskets/seals... all this fits into one milk crate behind passanger's seat.
  • Big Freak'n Hammer
  • Cheater Pipe
  • Snatch Strap (no hooks!)
  • Come-a-Long
  • Large Crowbar
  • Front and Rear axle
  • Large moving blankets... lots of uses!
  • Duct tape (duh!)
  • Electrical repair kit (small plyers, electrical tape, fuses, fusible links, bit of patch wire, crimp/strip tool)
  • Full Size Tire (thats ratchet strapped down securly!)

Camping:

• Cooler with food and plenty of water.
  • Water proof container with matches and paper products.
  • Some lentgh of rope.
  • Two large tarps.
  • Tent
  • Sleeping bag, pillow, and extra blanket for sleeping pad.
  • Sometimes I bring my propane stove... just depends I guess
  • Cooking fork for roasing those weenies and marsh mellows!
  • Enough clothes for each day.
  • Anerak rain pancho.

Yeah... I pack heavy :lol: On the trail though I just run with:

• Tools
  • First Aid Kit
  • Fire Extinquisher
  • High Lift Jack
  • Come-a-long
  • Snatch Strap
  • Axles
  • Water
  • CB Radio
  • Full Size Spare Tire

.... I feel like I'm forget'n something..... :-p

Morgan covered off a bunch of stuff... enough parts to build a new suby...:rolleyes:

i don't do a bunch of off-roading but anytime i go on an outing i always bring a camera!!! i always bring a cell phone too... just in case... even though in most off-road places they don't work... but i can't afford a cb so thats what i use...

and even though this almost never happenes... (especially on a suby) i have a bar of dove soap with me... no its not so i can keep my hands baby soft(although they are) you can use it to patch a leaking gas tank... i don't know how it works but i know dove is the only one you can do it with... although jb weld can fix that too can't it???

and last... i always carry around my LED flashlight(seriously i have it on me right now)... using a normal flashlight makes lots oh heat and can ignite things if it breaks... while an led light creates almost no heat and uses too little wattage to create a decent spark...

thats it for me...

when i go on some mud runs, i usually bring a cell phone, a shovel, a hi lift jack, quite a bit of tools, a decent sized spare, a hand saw, a hatchett, oil :lol: , some recovery gear, and i always keep a few hand warmers in the car. theres some other stuff i bring but most of the time im just muddin for a hour or so, not a hole lot of trail ridding around here.

i always bring a cell phone too... just in case... even though in most off-road places they don't work... but i can't afford a cb so thats what i use...

That's odd; I found just the opposite to be true. CB radios dont have a monthly fee / charge per minute ;) I can't afford a cell phone so I have a CB :drunk:

MorganM

That's odd; I found just the opposite to be true. CB radios dont have a monthly fee / charge per minute ;) I can't afford a cell phone so I have a CB :drunk:

my mommy and daddy pay for my cell phone...:cool: :D

because they love me...:lol:

so for me... a cb is more money... just because i have to go out and buy one in the first place...

free is cheaper then a cb... unless the cd is free to buy??? anybody got a free one kickin' about???

Antifreeze anyone? Oil?

Good call; Yes! One jug of mixed antifreeze. Anywhere from one to 4 quarts of oil; depending on how far I'm driving.

To go offroading for me it's not a little drive just outside of town. It's a minimum of 2+ hour drive to Little Falls, 4+ hours to Gilbert, or 6+ hours to Castana (all one way estimations). Yes I pack heavy but its for a full weekend of offroad madness.

Just wrap it around the tire in the center of the tread and tighten the hell out of it (hence the heavyduty). This will push the sidewalls out and the comp will do the rest. I guess on a side note I'd like to remove the recomendation of heavy duty 1" and say to just go with a 2" strap. I have some 1" straps that are rated to like 2000 lbs of pull but I doubt many people could find these.

d.

Saw: for cutting the random chunks of wood out of your engine bay :rolleyes:

I had to use my bowsaw to cut small trees out as I was slidding off the road in packed snow(ice) almost down a hilldside whew.......

here's my list:

cellphone/FRS radios

First aid kit

tow strap w/ hooks (great for removing large blowdown /small boulders out of the way!

shovels: spade/ snow

chains!!!

compressor

18v electric impact gun

4x4 block of wood(small)

tarp

3 pairs of gloves: fleece/mechanics/nitrile

headlamp/flashlights

bungy cords/ratchet straps 1"

fire extingusher

needle nose vice grips (for rubber brake lines )

socket set/wrenches

Maddox for really heavy blowdown! I got caught in a nasty windstorm and was blocked in with 100ft firs falling down allover! pretty scary! I got out in time...

Duct tape

zipties

mechanics wire

FUSEs

water/oil

extra clothing/rainpants/jacket/hat

TP for my bunghole!

extra food

Beer for when life really sux!!!