Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How tough is my Subie?

Phizinza

I'm not sure what's going to do damage and what's not. Like, is getting air going to do damage (how much is ok on the suspension?) Post some pictures of what subies can do and what the can't do (like pic's of it getting air and say, every thing was fine after. And pics of subies hit rocks, getting air and saying, it didn't make it.)

Anyone know what they can take. Or more to the point, what my 2" lifed not much rust at all with 27" mud tires Brat can take.

Thats a tough load of questions to answer. It depends on the overall condition of the vehicle and the condition of it various parts. Failure will always occur at the weakest point.

At WCSS, ShadyIrishmen took a flying leap off a large pile of gravel. He collapsed a strut, broke and axle and bent (slightly) his right front strut tower. On the other hand, I've accidentally dropped mine into some culverts with no ill effects.

So the answer to your question is a resounding "It Depends". Whether or not your sube will survive a given incident depends on what you're doing, how fast you're trying to do it and what kind of condition your car is in. Oh yeah...and how good your luck is.

I jump my Legacy on a regular basis.. never really hard.. just over some railroad tracks.. about ~1sec of air.. The brat gets BASHED a lot on rocks because it's stock.. but I never can find the damage from them!! (Except if I drag the rock..)

They're pretty damn tough cars in good condition...

Just watch the Intro video www.alliedarmament.com left click on the video and hit the pause button when the car is in the air. on the landing the car broke one strut (it collapsed) one front and one rear axle, bent a lower control arm, and broke a rear window (a bongo drum flew up from inside the vehicle and hit it). The lift was perfect and the rest of the car was fine, but all the components mentioned are the ones that will give out first before your car does.

My subie didnt like it when I drove into a granite rock. Rock was only exposed about 18", but I wasnt paying attention on a trail and it smacked my passenger side lower control arm. Hit it just right to bend the snot out of it, and caused alot of headache ever since. Other than that, the subie has taken all the beatings Ive given it. Never had one airborn but ive seen plenty of em get off the ground. Cant say I've seen every single on land without problem though.

-Brian

Who was the person who got stranded on a mountain road with it collapsed both in front and behind? They took the fast way down to the next switchback and I seem to remember a wheel got ripped off?

I've bashed my legacy pretty hard on rocks and stumps. the tank seems to crush with out leaking in my experience, and who hasn't felt the floor ripple as something rubs it? The only big vulnerability is an unprotected oil pan.

I saw a loyale in Jackson WY with the control arm twisted and the radius rod bent, far enough that the wheel was almost touching the body, but it was still being driven. I could tell by the bald tire on that wheel. Seems tough for a car to be beat like that and still drivable.

I've jumped my roo a number of times and all I've been able to do is kill 2 sets of front wheel bearrings, 1 set of front struts, rear struts need to be done and motor/engine mounts.

Tranny took about 10000 miles of harsh practiclly no clutch shifting before a shifting fork gave way and now that tranny is stuck in second gear.

Engine has takin' running at 230 deg for about 200 miles at 65, and doin donuts at 7krpm five or six times--head gaskets let go.

Tried doing a burnout on dry pavement and all I got was alot of wheel hop and shook my pioneer cd player to death.

Ummm......don't beat on them too hard, they do break.:)

Well... It looks like getting air is a bad idea, unless you have spares handy. I know there tough over rocks and that, I have grounded mine twice in the 6 to 7 hours of offloading I have done with it. And one of those times was on a horrid rock, put a dent in a bit of the under body frame on the right hand side of the car. Anyway. Another question, with 27" tires and 2" lift (see my car in my sig) what do you think the maximum angle is I could get it before it would rollover. I had it at what i would call about 35 to 40 degree's with a passenger. And the passenger (my brother) was freaking out... Any idea? Thanks guys.

Jumping vehicles that dont have the suspension for it is ... rather silly... to put it nicely. Glad you came to the same conclusion.

Here's my latest damage from riding on lots of big, jagged, rocks.

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul04_craw4cure/carnage/

They hold up well but nothing lasts forever. Another season or two of this and she's done.

Getting to 35+ degree's is freaky no doubt. Next time you are at that angle get out and look at the vehicle. See just how close you really are. I think you'll find it's mostly in your head. Seems exagerated when you are in the vehicle; then you get out and look and it seems less scary. Scariest parts I find are when you are on a VERY tight turn, on a steep desent, with two wheels off the ground.... the tipping back and forth rates high on the pucker factor :eek:

Getting to 35+ degree's is freaky no doubt. Next time you are at that angle get out and look at the vehicle. See just how close you really are. I think you'll find it's mostly in your head. Seems exagerated when you are in the vehicle; then you get out and look and it seems less scary. Scariest parts I find are when you are on a VERY tight turn, on a steep desent, with two wheels off the ground.... the tipping back and forth rates high on the pucker factor :eek:

Well, It felt like about 45 degree's in the car, so I said 35 on my post. I think I'm about 10 degree's out because of a photo my bro took when I was going down a "40 to 45 degree angle!" and the photo showed it was less then 35.... So I'm trying to make up for the exageration.

Not for a fuel injected engine. ;)

WHen the suspension starts to unload on the uphill side, you're very close.

If you can get a fuel injected engine to stall out before you tip it.. congradulations :drunk:

i'm guessing when the suspension starts to unload.. you're going to have more issues then tipping going on.. :brow: