Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sparkplug to use in Mom's '03 GT?

It's nice to see people doing things to help their parents out. Just make sure that your/her car uses plat. plugs or non plat. or regular old plugs. My former 97 Outback was platinum only. My 03 FOrester is regular plug only. I was told not to use platinum plugs in it, so I didn't. I just put in the Denso plugs at 1.87 a piece,and it runs beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I only had three hours so I changed the coolant in her '03 GT with that universal yellow stuff they are selling now mixed with distilled water. When I opeaned the cap there was this redish stuff all over the cap, the bottom of the overflow tank. Whe I flushed the rad with watter this stuff came out as well. I wonder if it was SOA factory isnstalled "magic treatment for phase I EJ25's"? Anyway I put Prestone water pump lube and cooling system treatment.

Buddythe dog thanks for "Just make sure that your/her car uses plat. plugs or non plat. or regular old plugs. My former 97 Outback was platinum only.!" She had WORN "Crap"ion spark plugs in it stock. I swaped them out for with the regular Denso's. My Mom says she thinks it feels peppier! Why would they put these junk plugs in a Subaru, at 30k there gap was DOUBLE what it was suppose to be! If it's this hard on plugs CAN I go to the plat.plugs in the EJ253?

I also replace the fuel filter with the Purolator. and changed the oil and filter.

That was all the time I had so next time I am down it's ATF drain and refill, front and rear diffs, and brake fluid flush bleed.

Please keep an eye on the coolant for a while. Mixing types can lead to problems with the stuff thickening up. If you rinsed/flushed well, you should be okay.

Plat plugs should work fine. Make sure you get double plat, though. The ignition system fires a blank in the opposite direction during the exhaust stroke.